Chris Dave and friends

Manu

Chris Dave and friends

Postby Manu » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:25 am

Not my type of thing but this guy doesnt mess around, he knows exactly what he is doing (although it may appear otherwise)
Gaddabout

Re: Chris Dave and friends

Postby Gaddabout » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:33 pm

That totally reminded me of Lenny White with RTF, right down to the snare sound. Although Lenny was kinda sloppy sometimes -- on purpose I think, but every now and then it didn't quite sound like he landed whatever he was going for. Somehow it came together. Like this.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Yussuf

Postby Yussuf » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:08 am

Totally unique approach, great drummer. A lot of guys have stolen stuff from him, Guiliana, Harland etc..

amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:34 am

G.B.T.V. CultureShare ARCHIVES 2010: ROBERT GLASPER EXPERIMENT "Live in PARIS":

Manu

Postby Manu » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:58 am

Gaddabout wrote:That totally reminded me of Lenny White with RTF, right down to the snare sound. Although Lenny was kinda sloppy sometimes -- on purpose I think, but every now and then it didn't quite sound like he landed whatever he was going for. Somehow it came together. Like this.

Yeah that's the thing, when I listen to this guy i feel confident he is in control and that WILL land where he wishes to
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:12 am

Manu wrote:
Gaddabout wrote:That totally reminded me of Lenny White with RTF, right down to the snare sound. Although Lenny was kinda sloppy sometimes -- on purpose I think, but every now and then it didn't quite sound like he landed whatever he was going for. Somehow it came together. Like this.

Yeah that's the thing, when I listen to this guy i feel confident he is in control and that WILL land where he wishes to

I would call what he does "metric deconstruction," because metric modulation doesn't quite explain it. He's not imposing a new meter over an old one. He's just ignoring it all together, but without losing '1' in his head. It's not always my favorite thing, I guess.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Manu

Postby Manu » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:57 am

Gaddabout wrote:
Manu wrote:

I would call what he does "metric deconstruction," because metric modulation doesn't quite explain it. He's not imposing a new meter over an old one. He's just ignoring it all together, but without losing '1' in his head. It's not always my favorite thing, I guess.

Same here, that's kinda what Dennis likes doing but I never was into it. This guy has killer chops AND ideas though, i would prefer he wouldnt do the metric deconstruction however :P
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:20 pm

...with Maxwell >>>

DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:12 pm

Pick up Double Booked by Robert Glasper... you get chris on some jazz on the trio tracks and them him going nuts on the experiment tracks. This album lived in my car for like 2 months when I first picked it up. It's fresh, unique and good and that's something that is hard to achieve.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:21 pm

I think this dude's drumming is the shit. I often look at drumming from metaphysical perspectives and he brings a lot of great energy, raw intensity and hipness to boot. There's a lot of magic to his playing because I often wonder how he comes up with his shit... there's no denying he's talented whether he's your cup of tea or not. It's funny, I thought of having all snare drums instead of toms when I was a teenager after seeing Matt Sorum in the November Rain (i think) music video. He was using all coated batter heads and I thought, he's using all snare drums, I want to do that! lol
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.

Return to “Drumming Chat”