Methods & Mechanics II DVD

Todd Sucherman

Re: Methods & Mechanics II DVD

Postby Todd Sucherman » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:41 am

Thanks, guys. It was painful to delay the release it but I couldn't let it go out the way it was. I'm grateful that the folks at Hudson were cool and that they were willing to see this through the correct way. They are busting it to get it done and I'm thankful of their efforts.

The support from you guys here is cool as hell, and I appreciate every comment. Yeah, this green screen thing is causing some really interesting feedback! It's only 5% of the presentation but boy it's been met with such negativity. We were trying something new, and didn't have a million dollar budget. The backgrounds were all shot for the project and they are not stills. It was simply easier to do all the small kit bits in one day and not be dealing with possible bad weather on shoot day, etc. Lesson learned. I'll never do that again, and it was almost more work (for my prod crew) then had we all schlepped out to the country! I really hope that it's the playing that registers in the brain and not the superfluous settings, especially as it really is such a small part of the 4 hour plus presentation.

Right on.....

Thanks and cheers from Philadelphia,
Todd
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:10 pm

just pre ordered my copy. I could also care less about the green screen parts. I guess next time, you should have a pre-screening to a wide array of drummer-demographics, LOL.

go for the special effects here:

langmick

Postby langmick » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:18 am

I don't care about the green screen stuff, but I did find it is harder to concentrate and see your hands with it.

There is a process in the brain that doesn't believe what it's seeing, so viewing it, as if it were real, tickles that. We're watching it to focus in minute detail on your playing. It's not like we're just sitting back and enjoying the show, we're active viewers. So we get uncomfortable while watching it, it's a little distracting.

It's like the Star Wars movies that George Lucas ruined...they just don't look real, and when you're watching the movie your brain is telling you it isn't real. "dude, what the hell is that, it's not real, it sucks, give me a real alien". It's an unconscious reaction, for better or worse, and that's why the reaction is so strong.

Can't wait to get my copy. The live stuff is going to kill.
Todd Sucherman

Postby Todd Sucherman » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:52 am

deseipel---

Thanks!

langmick---

Interesting perspective. I understand what you're saying but I think it will appear differently viewing on a 16X9 plasma. I guess I should have thicker skin by now, but I suppose I don't understand that after watching a 14 minute trailer (with such a small part of it being GS) that someone would post on youtube, "Fake!" I mean, really? Is that what someone got out of the trailer, paying no mind to ANY of the musical content? Especially considering the fact that 90% of the trailer was "real" filmed with 5D cameras with no expense spared for quality? Like I said, we were trying something new---and I feel I'm defending something that hasn't even been released yet. Maybe I should or shouldn't. Perhaps I'll just let the work speak for itself, and hope that drummers are entertained and enjoy it. That's the point. Hey, it's art and subjective! But I still stand by the fact that we had the balls to try something NEW in the genre! Ultimately if one watched the DVD, it's superfluous to the lessons and message of the entire presentation. There's even some wacky bits in the blooper reel to show that we weren't trying to fool anyone--and that we were having fun with it!

Thanks again-
Todd
(soon to be fleeing the east coast)
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:33 am

The screen effect is an option, you can like it or not.

BUT, not a single person will decide not to buy the DVD for that reason.
So, be in peace Todd.

It will be another HIT in the instructional DRUM DVD market.

Cheers.
renardvert

Postby renardvert » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi Todd,

I've really enjoyed your first dvd, you make drumming and music playing really an exciting experience. I'm still listening to it quite often and using a lot of the exercises in my daily practice routine. I'm really looking forward to this second edition of Methods and Mechanics, guess I'll still learn a lot from it. Loved those clips that show some different parts of the dvd. And I don't care much about the green screen, I was a bit surprised by it, but it's the music and the playing that counts to me. You're a big inspiration to me. Hope I'll see you live again soon, I saw your drum clinic in Montreal a few months ago, you really kicked it. Thanks!

Daniel
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:46 pm

got mine in the mail today = #winning. feedback forthcoming...

1 hr in: Your hands are sick Todd! +1 on the hotel room tips, the tv remote has proven to be the most filthy thing in a hotel room. lol
JohnDrum

Postby JohnDrum » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:54 am

deseipel wrote:got mine in the mail today = #winning. feedback forthcoming...

1 hr in: Your hands are sick Todd! +1 on the hotel room tips, the tv remote has proven to be the most filthy thing in a hotel room. lol

whoaaa! no more spoilers please for those of us still waiting

:mrgreen:
People whistle the song -they don't whistle your drum part - Ringo Starr
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:27 am

Superb...
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
Todd Sucherman

Postby Todd Sucherman » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:44 am

Thanks, guys!

I appreciate the positive feedback. Hope you guys are digging it.

Cheers from Atlanta,
Todd

Return to “Drumming Chat”