Gadd

Gaddabout

Re: Gadd

Postby Gaddabout » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:00 pm

If you don't think this is uniquely funky fresh, you're deaf.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Miki C.

Postby Miki C. » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:12 pm

Gaddabout wrote:

4:15 always make me smile :mrgreen: :D
Last edited by Miki C. on Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:20 pm

markie04drum wrote:Man the three of those guys performing together at the BRMC will forever be burned into my mind. Killing all the way around. PERIOD. It must have been so cool for Dave and Vinnie to be playing with a hero of both of theirs.

Now to say they 'decimated' Steve or however it was put is just, no offense, ignorant. A lot of younger guys these days don't GET Steve. I know I didn't before and admittedly when I first watched this VHS I thought the same thing. 'Vinnie smoked them both!' But to make something FEEL the way Steve does is a lot harder than it seems. Especially if you are just looking for flashy chops. Now that is NOT to say Steve doesn't have chops! Start digging and you will find.

I mean check out that powerhouse flam stuff at about 3:45. That is just balls out drumming. A MASSIVE statement with very few notes. I have most of this clip memorized now (NOT that I can play it!) and honestly this is the part I think of when I pull up this mental file these days.

Not sure how Danny Carey was brought into this. Either way, to try and compare or even mention him, in a thread titled 'GADD', just reeks of competitive BS. Another thing that doesn't really play a role in my musical listening or playing anymore. I call irrelevant. Maybe I need to go back and read a little closer. Regardless, Danny is great at doing his thing, it is just a very different thing.

I haven't watched this in a while, but I've watched it a lot. And the thing that still makes my jaw drop is VC's thing around 7:04. There used to be a transcription of it online somewhere.

Here's one: http://www.drummagazine.com/lessons/pos ... -colaiuta/

I forgot that he led it with his left hand! fak me.
JohnDrum

Postby JohnDrum » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:21 am

Gaddabout wrote:

See, that's what I meant - pure class.
:D
People whistle the song -they don't whistle your drum part - Ringo Starr
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:33 am

Gaddabout wrote:
Kurtis wrote:really love reading about every ones thoughts on the buddy night. the one thing i took from that one magical night was the phrasings. the chops and execution was stellar with the band and the trading. the stuff that stays with you for years is the phrases they played. gadd's phrases with out a doubt were the most moving. once gadd played his little intro he breaks into his signature groove thing. dave goes first and plays a great phrase then vinnie comes out and plays something you have never heard of or ever seen. then you have steve come out and play this hi hat to snare then bass drum to floor tom phrase and it sets the tone and the most ultimate drumming phrase you have ever heard. it was a very musical response that first phrase he played. those three cats on stage have very different personalities. whats amazing about those three guys during this time is that they were all pretty much on the top of their game. it's a shame more moments like that didn't reach a video recorder. props to vinnie on being vinnie that night. my god. the first time i saw that buddy night I couldn't believe my ears never alone my eyes. to see it pulled off is a god send.

What was funny is it seemed like Vinnie was hearing what Weckl was doing and then putting his own spin on it. LOL

He was clearly doing this !!!

Remember that at that time Dave WAS the new drum super star, traveling all over the world with The Elektric Band, Vinnie was known specialy by the guys in LA and only by CD...
And a lot of heavy weight were upset by Dave's huge notoriety.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:09 am

Gaddabout wrote:

Beautiful, tasteful use of transitioning between triplets and 16th notes (in addition to the 3 stroke 16ths), to slather funk all over what might otherwise have been a clicheish solo by a lesser musician. I'm sure the Danny Careys of the World could play the same notes Gadd played. But, they couldn't play it the way Gadd played it if their lives depended on it.
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
jem

Postby jem » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:07 am

jem

Postby jem » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:18 am

Yussuf

Postby Yussuf » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:11 am

A young Steve Gadd playing with the army band. Never saw this before. No muffling on the drums!

Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:09 am

Yussuf wrote:A young Steve Gadd playing with the army band. Never saw this before. No muffling on the drums!

Fuckin' 'ell, what a sound...

Return to “Drumming Chat”