Gadd

DSOP

Re: Gadd

Postby DSOP » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:52 pm

Gadd rocking out on the Ludwigs with Silver Dots:

Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:06 pm

I discovered Gadd in the 80s on Al DiMeola's "Tour de Force Live" that my brother guitarist had. The live versions of his classics with Gadd, A. Jackson and J. Hammer are awesome. Al's music is my favourite fusion (along with CCEB).

We play Hammer's Cruisin' in my band. Simple, catchy, groovy instrumental tune. I like the guit vs keys exchanges (3:42). Jan Hammer is the best keytarist ever:

I was at this Montreal show in 88. Tom Brechtlein on drums. Notice how Tom was Gadd/Weckl sounding/looking at the time.

beat hit

Postby beat hit » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:05 am

Tombo 7/4 wrote:I was at this Montreal show in 88. Tom Brechtlein on drums. Notice how Tom was Gadd/Weckl sounding/looking at the time.

Hey Tombo! Hope you're feeling better !!!

Was at that show '88 too!! Di Meola had come to "Le Creme Soda" the previous year too and to me, that was a better show overall... Smaller venue, Tom was behind the kit as well... A highlight that I will never forget.

Tom may have the Weckl haircut on that clip but Tom started playing with Chick in 1978 fresh from the Gadd-Influance-School sort-of-speak, I'd say they both worked their way up in parallel... I’m not convinced that Tom changed his style with the arrival of Weckl in 1985… IMHO anyway... :)
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:50 pm

I feel good, thanks.

You mean "Le Club Soda".

Tom, yeah I know. Seems like Gadd marked Chick since he hired "Gadd school" drummers afterwards: Tom, Dave, Vinne, Gary,...

Tom had the Gadd sound ...and the Weckl looks. We have to remember that the mullet was the fashion statement of the 80s:
Brett Borba

Postby Brett Borba » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:45 pm

Little late chiming in on this topic, but ... Bad Benson (CTI era) as yet another testament to Gadd's badassery. Possible the drums were overdubbed? If not, Gadd's musical intuition borders on clairvoyance.

bigbone

Postby bigbone » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:11 pm

[quote="Tombo 7/4"]I discovered Gadd in the 80s on Al DiMeola's "Tour de Force Live" that my brother guitarist had. The live versions of his classics with Gadd, A. Jackson and J. Hammer are awesome. Al's music is my favourite fusion (along with CCEB).

We play Hammer's Cruisin' in my band. Simple, catchy, groovy instrumental tune. I like the guit vs keys exchanges (3:42). Jan Hammer is the best keytarist ever:

I was at this Montreal show in 88. Tom Brechtlein on drums. Notice how Tom was Gadd/Weckl sounding/looking at the time.

Just to make sure, those clip are from ''La place des art' for the mtl jazz fest, not ''club soda ''......
sejuba

Postby sejuba » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:40 pm

Tombo 7/4 wrote:I discovered Gadd in the 80s on Al DiMeola's "Tour de Force Live" that my brother guitarist had. The live versions of his classics with Gadd, A. Jackson and J. Hammer are awesome. Al's music is my favourite fusion (along with CCEB).

this is a bit off topic, but who´s the singer (2nd clip) ?
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:48 am

bigbone wrote:Just to make sure, those clip are from ''La place des art' for the mtl jazz fest, not ''club soda ''......

Beat Hit was talking about the previous 87 year show which was at Club Soda.

sejuba wrote:this is a bit off topic, but who´s the singer (2nd clip) ?

He's brazilian singer José Renato. If you like him get Al's Tirami Su album. He sings on 4 tunes. He really has a beautiful voice. My girlfriend bought the album back in the day just because she found Al good looking on the sleeve. Now it's still her favourite "jazz" album because of José's voice.

As a side note, Airto was supposed to sing on Tirami Su but couldn't make it at the last minute and suggested José Renato to fill in. José arrived at Al's house at 2AM to learn the music for next day's studio session.
sejuba

Postby sejuba » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:57 am

Tombo 7/4 wrote:
bigbone wrote:Just to make sure, those clip are from ''La place des art' for the mtl jazz fest, not ''club soda ''......

Beat Hit was talking about the previous 87 year show which was at Club Soda.

sejuba wrote:this is a bit off topic, but who´s the singer (2nd clip) ?

He's brazilian singer José Renato. If you like him get Al's Tirami Su album. He sings on 4 tunes. He really has a beautiful voice. My girlfriend bought the album back in the day just because she found Al good looking on the sleeve. Now it's still her favourite "jazz" album because of José's voice.

As a side note, Airto was supposed to sing on Tirami Su but couldn't make it at the last minute and suggested José Renato to fill in. José arrived at Al's house at 2AM to learn the music for next day's studio session.

i was watching the video and was like..."wait a minute, did i just heard portuguese ?" (i´m brazilian).i thought he was awesome. thanx for the info, we´ll have a look.
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:48 am

Tombo 7/4 wrote:You mean "Le Club Soda".

Arrgghhh you're right... LOL!! Too funny.... Brain Cramp!!
:mrgreen:

Return to “Drumming Chat”