Gadd

Joe Nocella

Re: Gadd

Postby Joe Nocella » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:23 pm

Josiah wrote:
Jean-Paul wrote:And besides his signature licks he is able to be in command of high profile gigs, he is on top of the "food chain."

he's not on the top of the "food chain" by any means, it's really more on the bottom and feeding off the stuff from back in the day. He doesnt get or play any high end modern gigs. Period.

James Taylor???? Eric Clapton gig????? "BOTTOM FEEDING???"

the guy gets decimated in a straight up trade, the Buddy Rich Memorial is a very explicit example.

In a straight up trade???? What is this? West Side Story?

He made his mark, and it is a huge mark, inspired many but it's like Lars Urlich or Ringo Star - they ride on the once was.

Lars Ulrich and Steve Gadd compared? In the same topic? in the same post???? Steve Gadd??? Lars ULRICH??? AND STEVE "FUCKING" GADD????!!!!!??????
(Ahem...sorry.)
Last edited by Joe Nocella on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
cjbdrm

Postby cjbdrm » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:31 pm

This is the only clip that I've ever seen of Gadd where he is actually going out on a limb a bit with his licks and phrasing. That's why I posted it. You have to watch the whole thing.

I've never seen so much intensity from a drummer. Ever. Intensity can be loud- but loud is not necessarily intensity.

The more I mature as a musician, the more I appreciate what he did/does.

I can't disagree more with the negative jab at Gadd, but everyone's entitled to their opinion/perspective, even if it's wrong :o
langmick

Postby langmick » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:46 pm

Well, this seems like a small pub gig, for sure. I hear some very solid time, and it does feel good.

That's what is important.

Yussuf

Postby Yussuf » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:47 pm

Hey Josiah, did you write here regularly months before as Yamahaplayer?
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:20 pm

jem wrote:Gaddabout, most of the gigs he does nowadays does not call for that many chances, and he's 66 now, he sure has my understanding :-)

A quite recent record (2006) I really like and can recommend is Chick Corea's "Super Trio", Corea with Steve Gadd & Christian McBride.
Been listening to that record since it came out, by some reason it's only released in Japan but I'm sure you can find it.
Very very good, a must for all Gadd and Corea fans.

http://www.chickcorea.com/cart/index.ph ... 0&parent=4

Another one is Steve Gadd and Friends, "LIve at Voce" with Joey DeFrancesco, Ronnie Cuber & Paul Bollenback. Not the same kind of music as Corea but what a groove. Saw them live last year, could listen to Joey DeFrancesco and Gadd alone for a week, magic!

Gadd had plenty of opportunities in the 80s, but he seemed to rest on his considerable laurels.

I can listen to just about anything Gadd plays, even now. I love Steve Gadd and Friends. One of his best recordings in years, and Paul Bollenback is also a wonderful addition to the Gadd "Gang."

I'm just lamenting the fact that very few people -- even Gadd fans -- are even aware of a whole other blow-your-mind, s***-your-pants Gadd who blew my mind with Corea, the Brecker Brothers, Di Meola, and others. I probably listen to "Lenore" about 20 times a week. That's not Gadd doing Gadd licks. That's Gadd taking a revolutionary style to a higher level.

I dunno. I confess it's hard to imagine being that brilliant for an extended period of time, but he seemed to be able to apply (and even comp with) that style with great comfort. Expressing disappointment he dialed it back because, I speculate, it paid better and was just mentally easier to be himself laying back and grooving.

This is Gadd I always remember:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG_g3esQioM#t=3m00s
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:09 pm

Gaddabout wrote:
jem wrote:Gaddabout, most of the gigs he does nowadays does not call for that many chances, and he's 66 now, he sure has my understanding :-)

A quite recent record (2006) I really like and can recommend is Chick Corea's "Super Trio", Corea with Steve Gadd & Christian McBride.
Been listening to that record since it came out, by some reason it's only released in Japan but I'm sure you can find it.
Very very good, a must for all Gadd and Corea fans.

http://www.chickcorea.com/cart/index.ph ... 0&parent=4

Another one is Steve Gadd and Friends, "LIve at Voce" with Joey DeFrancesco, Ronnie Cuber & Paul Bollenback. Not the same kind of music as Corea but what a groove. Saw them live last year, could listen to Joey DeFrancesco and Gadd alone for a week, magic!

Gadd had plenty of opportunities in the 80s, but he seemed to rest on his considerable laurels.

I can listen to just about anything Gadd plays, even now. I love Steve Gadd and Friends. One of his best recordings in years, and Paul Bollenback is also a wonderful addition to the Gadd "Gang."

I'm just lamenting the fact that very few people -- even Gadd fans -- are even aware of a whole other blow-your-mind, s***-your-pants Gadd who blew my mind with Corea, the Brecker Brothers, Di Meola, and others. I probably listen to "Lenore" about 20 times a week. That's not Gadd doing Gadd licks. That's Gadd taking a revolutionary style to a higher level.

I dunno. I confess it's hard to imagine being that brilliant for an extended period of time, but he seemed to be able to apply (and even comp with) that style with great comfort. Expressing disappointment he dialed it back because, I speculate, it paid better and was just mentally easier to be himself laying back and grooving.

This is Gadd I always remember:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG_g3esQioM#t=3m00s

Hey Gaddabout, How come I've never heard that ending before? I dl'd the leprechaun off itunes...
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:36 pm

gretsch-o-rama wrote:Hey Gaddabout, How come I've never heard that ending before? I dl'd the leprechaun off itunes...

The end of it is actually a bonus track that you can ONLY get from the tape/CD. It's not available for download. I don't know why, unless there was something funky between Corea/Polydor on that specific recording.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:26 pm

just my opinion on Gadd is all. people get so upset over other peoples opinions.

Gadd did some great work. but i never expect to see him in a modern playing environment, and doubt I will.

i went to one of the best musical schools in the world for drumming, and we had to transcribe a great deal of playing, Gadd was never in the mix. Im sure his ideas were an influence to those players that we did study. but none the less one could argue a bias of the instructors.

Joe Nocella - like i said, the artist you name are from that era. Gadd is not playing for modern artist. simple as that. they are artist from the 70's. and yes, great as James Taylor is, he aint selling out Red Rocks in 15 minutes. (TooL does though, 2 nights in under 15 minutes. And Danny Carey brought it big time.)

and yes, Gadd got his ass handed to him on the Buddy Rich Memorial video, with Weckl and Vinnie, it wasn't even fair and I felt bad for the guy. what was being traded between the drummers was UNREAL and Gadd couldnt keep up. are you saying during the trades that Gadd brought the same level of drumming?

sorry to offend but i think Porcaro brought it 1000x more then Gadd could dream of, shame he passed so early.

for the record as well Gary Chester played on more #1 hits the Gadd did by almost 5x the amount. Just saying. The name plays a lot in the game.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:35 pm

Josiah wrote:just my opinion on Gadd is all. people get so upset over other peoples opinions.

Gadd did some great work. but i never expect to see him in a modern playing environment, and doubt I will.

i went to one of the best musical schools in the world for drumming, and we had to transcribe a great deal of playing, Gadd was never in the mix. Im sure his ideas were an influence to those players that we did study. but none the less one could argue a bias of the instructors.

Joe Nocella - like i said, the artist you name are from that era. Gadd is not playing for modern artist. simple as that. they are artist from the 70's. and yes, great as James Taylor is, he aint selling out Red Rocks in 15 minutes. (TooL does though, 2 nights in under 15 minutes. And Danny Carey brought it big time.)

and yes, Gadd got his ass handed to him on the Buddy Rich Memorial video, with Weckl and Vinnie, it wasn't even fair and I felt bad for the guy. what was being traded between the drummers was UNREAL and Gadd couldnt keep up. are you saying during the trades that Gadd brought the same level of drumming?

sorry to offend but i think Porcaro brought it 1000x more then Gadd could dream of, shame he passed so early.

for the record as well Gary Chester played on more #1 hits the Gadd did by almost 5x the amount. Just saying. The name plays a lot in the game.

I'm guessing you're under 30 years of age. ;)
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:37 pm

Gaddabout wrote:
I'm guessing you're under 30 years of age. ;)

well under!!!

I had to learn '50 ways' and it was cool. but there was no concept to it. just a groove to learn and a name the "institute" holds on high. to me taking promo shots with huge rolled blunts does not an amazing drummer make.

i see it as a set of shoulders, giants we stand on, Gadd was one of those. Without a doubt. However he is a layer or two down at this point.

Return to “Drumming Chat”