Here's my wish list for week III >>>

• Andy Fisenden
• Ari Hoenig
• Vinnie Colaiuta
• Adam Deitch
Gaddabout

Re: Letterman drum solo week II

Postby Gaddabout » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:35 am

I loved the Police -- it was the music of my early teen years -- but I've been more of a fan of Copeland's composing than his drumming. A lot of his comments about jazz and jazz drumming have really turned me off, to the point I felt he betrays his own traditional grip. LOL I was disappointed when I saw he was listed among the drummers for the week. That said, I sort of enjoyed his segment. He did about as much as I expected, other than the double bass, which was something of a surprise. As militant as he is about his approach to the drums, I would have never have guessed him to be toying around with a double pedal.

I respect him, but of all the drummers in my circle of inspiration, he's the last guy I think I'd want to go to the pub and chat with over beers. LOL I guess I've always understood why Sting lives in a perpetual state of wanting to punch him.

:D
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Yussuf

Postby Yussuf » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:47 am

They really should get Joey Baron to do this.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:49 am

BTW, if I had an ultimate wish list, Gavin would definitely be on it. That was awesome to actually see a drummer I wanted to see in that setting. I felt they could've done a New York/Boston drummer week if they wanted to and still come up with a better overall list (at a much cheaper cost):

- Ari Hoenig
- Tommy Igoe
- Dave DiCenso
- Mark Guiliana
- Zach Danziger

But if I were just basing it on established drum soloists who would push the bar the highest, it would probably look something like this:

- Vinnie
- Weckl
- Omar
- Brian Blades
- Smitty
Rafael Dolinski

Postby Rafael Dolinski » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:53 am

I wanna see Akira Jimbo there
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:38 am

Gaddabout wrote:BTW, if I had an ultimate wish list, Gavin would definitely be on it. That was awesome to actually see a drummer I wanted to see in that setting. I felt they could've done a New York/Boston drummer week if they wanted to and still come up with a better overall list (at a much cheaper cost):

- Ari Hoenig
- Tommy Igoe
- Dave DiCenso
- Mark Guiliana
- Zach Danziger

But if I were just basing it on established drum soloists who would push the bar the highest, it would probably look something like this:

- Vinnie
- Weckl
- Omar
- Brian Blades
- Smitty

Actually if Vinnie played on Monday, I think Dave would really declare that drum week over.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:50 am

Clint Hopkins wrote:
Gaddabout wrote:BTW, if I had an ultimate wish list, Gavin would definitely be on it. That was awesome to actually see a drummer I wanted to see in that setting. I felt they could've done a New York/Boston drummer week if they wanted to and still come up with a better overall list (at a much cheaper cost):

- Ari Hoenig
- Tommy Igoe
- Dave DiCenso
- Mark Guiliana
- Zach Danziger

- Vinnie
- Weckl
- Omar
- Brian Blades
- Smitty

Actually if Vinnie played on Monday, I think Dave would really declare that drum week over.

He'd have to. Because, really, who would want to follow him?
robhaerr

Postby robhaerr » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:02 pm

Have to include...

Todd Sucherman

...another HODer to do us proud!

...and he would freakin' kill it, too....by doing a Styx-related tune with his drum pyrotechniques!

Not only an HOD favorite...but that would be a Letterman audience pleaser for sure.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:35 pm

Agreed on the Todd front. I still get a woody thinking about a fill he did filling in on the Tonight Show gig w/Spinal Tap last year.
Ya gotta give the people what they want. Virgil would blow people away...they want to see athletic, fast fills that appeal to the senses. Royster was in this class...the reaction proved the point. A lot of what Vinnie does is so above the average person flipping channels. Bozzio solo w/Zappa would kill (all roto tom set is best). The ultimate solo would be from the early Steve "Machine Gun" Smith Journey days. That stuff kills the large arena audience.

Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Rene

Postby Rene » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:48 pm

Clint Hopkins wrote:
Christopher wrote:Non musician comment (from my wife)…

“He really made it sound like music.”

In the end, that says it all.

Congrats!

My wife, also a non-musician, said essentially the same thing. Prime example of tasty, musical soloing IMO.

After reading your post I was curious what my wife would say. <quote> Both were great and entertaining, but Gavin's performance was much more interesting. </quote>
And Stewart Copeland really impressed me. Typical Stewart, pushing the song, and even playing a double pedal :D .Hope to see Dennis tonight. My list for week nr 3.

Billy Cobham
Simon Phillips
Terry Bozzio
TL Carrington

Return to “Drumming Chat”