Letterman drum solo week II

Matus

Re: Letterman drum solo week II

Postby Matus » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:04 pm

Robert Bluman wrote:In fact Royster and the rest of the gospel chops contingency wouldn't have anyone to copy if it wasn't for Dennis Chambers.

"It's funny 'cause it's true!" - Homer Simpson :mrgreen:
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
perksworks

Postby perksworks » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:12 pm

One thing that I think is interesting to note is, that stage is "meat locker" cold. Letterman keeps it next to freezing as he believes it keeps the audience awake and more likely to laugh. I've done that show a handful of times and can't imagine having to walk out there and play a solo without having warmed up in that room for a handful of tunes. It is literally like playing outdoors in the winter.
MRhet

Postby MRhet » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:31 pm

circh bustom wrote:Personally I like them according to the order they appeared. Its drum SOLO week. Its the time when a drummer can come out and melt the varnish off the stage. I was disappointed in Dennis. Yes yes yes Dennis can groove and he's a musician blah blah blah. But come on, are there many faster drummers on the planet? He comes out with six toms and barrage of cymbals and barely touched any of them. Even the crowd 5 feet from him was unsure if they should applaud at the time. I really do not care for the pretentious attitude of " oh he's a musician he doesnt have to play alot of notes". I understand that in a concert setting. But this, again was drum solo week. One of my favorite records that Buddy played on was Louis and Ella. Ray Brown on bass. Buddy plays brushes almost the whole time. But if I was to go back in time to see him play, I want power and aggression at least once! To me, Tony was the flash guy, Gavin was the brain matter guy, Stewart was the on-top playing/ HUGE name(to the public anyway) and Dennis should of been ferocious. Admit it, ALL of you were expecting a very different Dennis on that stage. If that song was one of say 15 at a club or in concert, it would've been fantastic. But as the only selection by him, it was a let down.

As I said, I liked them all -- Drum Week I as well.

Perfect? No -- but perfection can't be the enemy of the awfully darn good.
Jean-Paul

Postby Jean-Paul » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:11 pm

Hi, I had to set up a VPN (VPN Reactor is free) connection to watch Dennis because YT is blocked in Shanghai where I will spend a month for my daily job. I loved his performance. Gavin and Dennis were the best of this drumweek by far. I am biting my tongue off for SC.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:21 pm

Jean-Paul wrote:Hi, I had to set up a VPN (VPN Reactor is free) connection to watch Dennis because YT is blocked in Shanghai where I will spend a month for my daily job.

I use hidemyass.com...I have to because it's getting crazy here in Germany in regards to blocked YouTube clips.

>>>

[Image
robertopeland

Postby robertopeland » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:15 pm

Cissy Strut... Perfect choice for Dennis... Fantastic groove and great solo, perfectly in tune with the song. But, 1st of all, sooooo musical...
Dennis knows very well how to handle this type of music and I think he has done the right thing for the job.
The way he plays that groove is unbelievable...
Introducing his performance Letterman jokes about calling Buddy Rich at the phone... and my mind immediately goes to JEFF!!! The king!!!
Guys, can you imagine that?
JEFF!!! JEFF!!! JEFF!!!
I miss you more and more... and more...
Hugs to you all guys...

BOB
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:01 am

Bob my brother !!! :D
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
robertopeland

Postby robertopeland » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:06 am

Rodge!!!
My super-brother!!!
Here I am, back on HOD!!!
Waiting for you in Rome for another... 20 lb. Pizza!!! ;)
A thousand hugs!!!

BOB
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:59 am

Rodge wrote:Bob my brother !!! :D

robertopeland wrote:Rodge!!!
My super-brother!!!
Here I am, back on HOD!!!
Waiting for you in Rome for another... 20 lb. Pizza!!! ;)
A thousand hugs!!!

BOB

...:) >>>

Return to “Drumming Chat”