new track i did

Randy Walker

Re: new track i did

Postby Randy Walker » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:31 am

You may want to glance over what i posted earlier, its not the final mix and the tune itself is designed to work as an interactive piece with Beamz. Clearly it was a mistake in sharing this because having to explain in full detail is not what i had intended.
Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:19 am

Randy Walker wrote:here's a new track David Ellefson(megadeth) and i did recently for Beamz, its called Calm Before the Storm. It's only a minute long

https://public.me.com/randysdrums

Nice man. Thanks for sharing. Gotta love them DW's!
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:54 am

you've done a fine job sir.
Ghostnoter

Postby Ghostnoter » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:10 pm

Randy,

I dug the track. I understood what it was you were endeavoring to share. I thought of Billy Sheehan on the bass...etc. The pocket was rock solid.

I was amazed by the snare drum sound with basically 3 mics!? I'm attending a recording seminar on mic'ing snare drums and acoustic guitar in a week. I thought the snare was close mic'ed and had some type of processing to get the great sound you got. It gives me something to think about, because I'm a studio newbie and wanted at some point find a sound I like and any future producer may like as well. And knowing how to achieve it, would be good to know.
Thanks!
G
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:10 am

3 snare mics? no there were 2, a top mic and a bottom mic. there were 3 ambient room mics, 2 at a 3 foot by 3 foot triangle in front of the kic, a vintage AKG D12e at the kic head and a pencil mic pointed at the tile in a hallway for ambience.
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:12 am

The snare is a 6 1/2x14 2mm Brass made by Jim Beier at Beier Custom, this drum sounds amazing and really wasn't processed much. I just use the SSL plugins, plus all my Pre's are vintage Neve
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:41 am

Randy, you should do a DVD about drumset recording! Having the skills and the studio, shouldn´t all that hard...
That´s a topic pretty much uncovered on dvds (AFAIK) and you seem to know what you´re doing...

I would buy it... :)

Return to “Drumming Chat”