new track i did

Randy Walker

new track i did

Postby Randy Walker » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:05 am

here's a new track David Ellefson(megadeth) and i did recently for Beamz, its called Calm Before the Storm. It's only a minute long

https://public.me.com/randysdrums
JohnC

Re: new track i did

Postby JohnC » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:37 pm

Hey Randy, are you looking for an opinion or are just sharing?
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:05 pm

I was just letting people hear it is all, but if you want to critique it fire away. I'm game to see where this goes
JohnC

Postby JohnC » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:08 pm

I'll keep my opinion to myself since you really didn't want any. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:23 pm

Nice job Randy! Rock solid as always.
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:20 pm

Funny, I see you listing TOPs Oakland Zone as a sound sample for your studio, but it was tracked at a friends studio and I know the engineer, plus the horns were done in AZ.

Care to elaborate?

Or give your opinion onnmy track?

So, your console is an O1v, how does that stack to a Soundtracs Jade with Neve pre's?
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:25 pm

Tech notes, that's not the final mix of which I'm not able to share, B the drums and bass were done in 1 take
JohnC

Postby JohnC » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:35 pm

Randy Walker wrote:Funny, I see you listing TOPs Oakland Zone as a sound sample for your studio, but it was tracked at a friends studio and I know the engineer, plus the horns were done in AZ.

Care to elaborate?

Or give your opinion onnmy track?

So, your console is an O1v, how does that stack to a Soundtracs Jade with Neve pre's?

Love to Randy, the TOP track is a play along I put up for someone interested in me doing some drums for that style of music, I guess I was under the impression that when someone listened the the samples they would be interested in the drums, I will rename the sample more clearly, I have an 01V96 that I use for live work,great board, but I use my Prism Orpheus and API 3124 to track and I monitor with my Dynaudio BM6A's, I think they are OK, I think the room and mics play a big part also. As far as your track goes, I was just hoping to have a conversation about recording techniques and drums........your post seemed a little defensive, I'd rather remain silent at this point. :roll:

Thanks, John
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:50 pm

dude, i don't get defensive. what do you want to know? software? it was tracked in Logic, plugins were the SSl Waves. Thats it. The rest was all natural, no drumagog or resampling. Just my DW kit and a combination of cymbals.

Mics were all Audix except for a D12e on the outside of the kick, but inside was a D6. 3 room mics, 2 at a triangle, 3 feet out and 3 feet apart and 1 pencil mic placed in a doorway 2 inches from the tile for ambience.

console is a Soundrtracs Jade 48 channel with racked Neve's

1 take to a click, 3 bass tracks, 2 melodic tracks and 1 8th note pattern which i played, but David played the other 2
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:01 pm

That was, interesting. Is it a clip of a full song? It just doesn't seem to be "anything" per say, doesn't go anywhere musically... but like you said, just 1 minute.

Playing is simple, solid and fits with the musical atmosphere of whats going on. IMO, from what I read in the thread as it was downloading, I was expecting some killer drum sounds, and that part was fairly disappointing. Never really been a fan of the 'far-away' snare sound but up close kick sound, and very up front hats, too much of a juxtaposition sonically.

*shrug* Just really seems like a momentary clip of some random jam to be honest. Not enough "playing" substance wise for me to give a real opinion on it. Not much of a groove, progression or enough musical relevance to make it more then just a clip of random playing.

Yea, just you know, saying there are 6 or 7 tracks, and then you listen it's like... the air out of a balloon.

All just my opinion though.

Return to “Drumming Chat”