What would you create?

Jim Richman

Re: What would you create?

Postby Jim Richman » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:48 pm

Here's a good one. Clamp on snares for toms. Or a rim with snare assembly to fit on any drum of its size. If you make them, hook me up.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:01 pm

Todd Sucherman wrote:I'm sitting at O'Hare with a long layover waiting to go home, and I started wondering. With launching the Empyrean snare drum and being involved in the creative process of designing a drum........I wondered in you guys had any ideas of something you'd like to see in a drum. Something that's never been done before. My mind thinks of things I've never seen, such as French Marquetry on a drum, or a sterling silver engraved shell, or scrap aluminum from the space shuttle made into a shell. I'm sure this topic could be fodder for comedic comments, but I really was curious about other unique possibilities that might be floating around in your collective heads.

Hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend-
Cheers,
Todd

I like modern aesthetic design. Clean, straight, simple lines. Matt monochromatic finishes. Of course, I love the tone of Ludwig Aluminum drums. They have the metalic sound without the harsh twang. Perhaps a solid cast, or bored-out, aluminum shell, thicker than a Supraphonic to give it more volume, with cast aluminum rims, and 8 solid aluminum, full length lugs per side. With that much rigidity, you can use fewer lugs for precision tuning. That would look cool!
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:10 pm

Highwood Drums does amazing things with aluminum.
willyz

Postby willyz » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:08 am

I really dig the concept of Pearl's Free floating snares where you could change out the snares. I also really dig the Omni-tune lug system that Tama brought out a couple years ago (wasn't that a Gladstone design or something?).

Would be interesting to combine the two, perhaps?
Got Blushda?
sejuba

Postby sejuba » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:14 am

Old Pit Guy wrote:Highwood Drums does amazing things with aluminum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3nhNnrR ... re=related

it would be nice to hear this snare recorded properly. definitely not impressed by the clip
Suspiria

Postby Suspiria » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:46 am

Gaddabout wrote:I still want to experiment with my idea of creating a "two-way" pedal that would allow the foot to generate pedal motion with either the heel or the toe. The idea is for the pedal to create a kind of double output by using a rocking motion. Forward/toe = one hit. Backwards/heel = second hit. The rest position would be center/midfoot. I think it'd be more ideal for a hi-hat pedal than a BD pedal, but I've never gotten beyond the idea in my head to experiment.

Gaddabout, do you mean this?

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:50 am

Something really patriotic made of 100% wood.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:07 pm

Suspiria wrote:
Gaddabout wrote:I still want to experiment with my idea of creating a "two-way" pedal that would allow the foot to generate pedal motion with either the heel or the toe. The idea is for the pedal to create a kind of double output by using a rocking motion. Forward/toe = one hit. Backwards/heel = second hit. The rest position would be center/midfoot. I think it'd be more ideal for a hi-hat pedal than a BD pedal, but I've never gotten beyond the idea in my head to experiment.

Gaddabout, do you mean this?

Whoa! I've been talking about this for 10 years. When did this come out? I missed it.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Matus

Postby Matus » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:31 pm

Well, basically 10 years ago! Check out any Thomas Lang video from those years, he was already blazing notes on a jam block before "Creative Control" came out.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:02 pm

something like the DW bass drum woofer, except applied to a snare drum. It would possibly add tone to the existing snare. That's fairly easy to accomplish though, and I'm not sure how you'd put it on a stand, LOL.

Return to “Drumming Chat”