What would you create?

whitehousec

Re: What would you create?

Postby whitehousec » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:02 am

I have a segemted shell snare drum. It looks kind like brick work, but there are no plies as such. Essentially it's a solid shell, made from segments of the material.

Dunno how much difference it makes to the sound but it's pretty cool. It was made for me by a guy who came into my work ( I work PT In a drum store) and he had a prototype to show us and it rocked, so I got him to make me one. The best of it is, he's a hobbyist - by day he was an air traffic controller and not even a drummer. His son is a drummer and he likes working with wood, so he started making drums.

What would I like to see? A heated drum stool maube? For outdoor/winter type gigs. Glasgow has a festival in Winter each year and sometimes you play outside - it's damn cold.

Also, have y'all seen this?

http://www.porteranddavies.co.uk/

It's a bass drum monitoring system that is felt through the stool. You feel every BD note in your ass basically. Rather than have the BD in the monitor, you run it through this and it solves some problems. Apparently too, it eventually starts sending the signal up your spine and you 'hear it' rather than feel it.
Riddim

Postby Riddim » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:01 am

Retrofit brass or bronze lugs/tension casings for virtually any of the brands out there. Brass is much more resonant than the pot metal most folks use, and a contributing factor, I think, to the larger than expected sound one gets from Brady or Canopus drums.
Ghostnoter

Postby Ghostnoter » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:25 am

Gaddabout wrote:I still want to experiment with my idea of creating a "two-way" pedal that would allow the foot to generate pedal motion with either the heel or the toe. The idea is for the pedal to create a kind of double output by using a rocking motion. Forward/toe = one hit. Backwards/heel = second hit. The rest position would be center/midfoot. I think it'd be more ideal for a hi-hat pedal than a BD pedal, but I've never gotten beyond the idea in my head to experiment.

Sounds like a Sonor twin efx pedal. Had one. Sellers remorse now...or what you describe seems pretty close to it or other twin efx single pedals...

G

Return to “Drumming Chat”