Help with mounting Yamaha YESS system

Paul Marangoni

Re: Help with mounting Yamaha YESS system

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:53 pm

Ha! Yes, someone was kind enough to mail me a template that Yamaha used to include with the mounts.

I actually went to a few stores and measured where the mount was installed on some toms, and Yamaha's claim that they mount at the "nodal point" is questionable. The mount was installed in different places on various drums that were the same diameter/depth. Regardless, I was happy with the outcome.
cannelle74

Postby cannelle74 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:48 am

Did the template concern only the 8x12 and 9x13, or was it talking about all sizes ?
Do you still have it ?
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:39 pm

The template didn't specify the size of the drum it would work with (which also goes against their "nodal point" marketing B.S.)

I may have it somewhere, but not sure if I can find it. I may be installing the same mounts on some new Gretsch I have on order soon, so I will have to look for it.
bclarkio

Postby bclarkio » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:56 pm

When I read about Yamaha's "nodal point" mounting, I was intrigued, because it seemed to make sense.

Is the nodal point on a drum shell in a similar spot as, say, on a marimba key (about 1/4 of the length from each end)?

If not, how do you determine where it is?

In your experience, does it make a noticeable difference locating the mount on the nodal point?
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:02 pm

bclarkio wrote:In your experience, does it make a noticeable difference locating the mount on the nodal point?

No, but I do like the Yamaha mounting system. I don't think installing it plus or minus an inch or two will make much of a difference though.

The nodal point would be determined by calculating the "golden ratio" which is approximately 22.4% from the edge to the holes of the mount.
bclarkio

Postby bclarkio » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:10 pm

Thanks for the reply; it makes me wonder if locating the lugs on the nodal points would make a difference.

Return to “Drumming Chat”