Vinnie out with 60 year-old bass player

amoergosum

Re: Vinnie out with 60 year-old bass player

Postby amoergosum » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:02 am

drum6282 wrote:I can't believe I'm reading this...

I converted a flac file of the dime show to mp3. Listen to "Seven Days"... :|
http://www.mediafire.com/?rsbgz58f3k255d7
baht habit

Postby baht habit » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:19 am

Kurtis wrote:i was at the uppper darby PA show last night. it was ok. what you see on the youtube clips pretty much sums up this tour. i wasn't digging it. maybe they were tired and burnt out.

I was at the show last night as well. I actually enjoyed it immensely for the numerous surprises and diversity within the set list.
I do believe that there is a major problem with this lineup : no keyboardist. As best as they may have tried, Miller and his son did not rise to the occasion in their attempts to compensate for the numerous holes created by the lack of keyboards. Though the violins did an admirable job recreating many of the melodies and Peter Tickell supplied some intriguing solos, the violin is not an adequate instrument to provide the necessary foundation and lift that keyboards have often supplied to Sting's music in the past. And it is apparent, from prior Sting concerts that I have seen with Vinnie on kit, that Colaiuta has thrived from interacting mainly with the keyboardist in Sting's band - be it David Sancious, Kenny Kirkland or Jason Rebello.
That being said, last night's show was still a whole hell of a lot more sophisticated than the sludgefest of distorted guitars and bombastic drums that Sting presented to his audience when I last saw him in 2005...and surely more interesting musically compared to the sterile programming which was prominent on the '04 tour or the ooze of bland smooth jazz that permeated the tour of 2000.
drum6282

Postby drum6282 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:59 pm

amoergosum wrote:
drum6282 wrote:I can't believe I'm reading this...

I converted a flac file of the dime show to mp3. Listen to "Seven Days"... :|

Thanks for converting to mp3 - I don't hear anything that makes me feel he's not making good choices - I also don't get the vibe he's not feeling it - he sounds very into it to me.

?

Sounds pretty passionate to me...I don't get or hear what you're hearing I guess...

It could use a keyboard - I guess we're so used to hearing David Sancious or Kenny Kirkland or even, heaven forbid - Kipper, playing on Sting's stuff, that it sounds a empty without one.
french toast

Postby french toast » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:38 am

Another Vinnie w/ sting on dime...

Sting - 1993-07-25 - Passariano, Villa Manin, Italy - DVD

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=379327
JohnDrum

Postby JohnDrum » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:29 am

baht habit wrote:
it is apparent, from prior Sting concerts that I have seen with Vinnie on kit, that Colaiuta has thrived from interacting mainly with the keyboardist in Sting's band - be it David Sancious, Kenny Kirkland or Jason Rebello.
....... the sludgefest of distorted guitars and bombastic drums that Sting presented to his audience when I last saw him in 2005...and surely more interesting musically compared to the sterile programming which was prominent on the '04 tour or the ooze of bland smooth jazz that permeated the tour of 2000.

your analysis of Sting's musical backing and output is 100% on the money!
:mrgreen:
In my humble opinion, the Mercury Falling tour line up was the last time I consider he had a band worth getting excited about,indeed seeing(which I did three times), preceded by the Ten Summoner's lineup, then the Soul Cages band....

no prizes for identifying the common denominator in those? :D
People whistle the song -they don't whistle your drum part - Ringo Starr
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:44 am

amoergosum wrote:I converted a flac file of the dime show to mp3. Listen to "Seven Days"...

Thanks for the Seven Days mp3.
I find it perfect, and Vinnie´s on "creative" mode.
I liked it a lot.

I prefer the band with keyboards, but this set gives a more acoustic vibe...
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:50 am

New for me:
JohnDrum

Postby JohnDrum » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:28 pm

Juan Expósito wrote:New for me:

This is a clip from a commercial VHS tape from 1994-ish called Summoner's Travels...a 'documentary' style concert film, with great footage from several Sting shows from 1993, with the majority coming from the legendary Oslo concert.
I nearly wore this out, but I found it as a DVD torrent somewhere....great stuff :mrgreen:
People whistle the song -they don't whistle your drum part - Ringo Starr
french toast

Postby french toast » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:40 am

Sting - Boston, MA - Wang Theatre - Oct 22, 2011

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=379451

Sting 2011-10-29 Washington DC dpa4061.flac16

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=379764

:)
Lorenzini

Postby Lorenzini » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:16 pm

I'm trying to determine whether or not to purchase tickets for 1 of the 3 LA Wiltern shows.... This thread is really deterring me to make the effort. IMO, the video's I have seen of the current tour are not all that good. A real let down!

Return to “Drumming Chat”