Vinnie out with 60 year-old bass player

Brandon Burr

Re: Vinnie out with 60 year-old bass player

Postby Brandon Burr » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:56 pm

Is there anyone in the Dallas area who's going, tomorrow night?
"They're just chunky enough...a little chocolatey..." - VC (12)
willyz

Postby willyz » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:30 pm

Look- I'm just going to throw this out there (and I'm sure that it's been said before and that I'd hope the majority of you cats agree with me), but as hip as it is (and always has been) to see Vinnie rock the Police catalog... he's got nothing on good 'ol Stewart Copeland.

I hope that the statement above isn't a dirty and dangerous comment... we're all smarter than that, right?

:D
Got Blushda?
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:20 am

I loved Stewart in his hey-day, but no way would I rather hear him over Vinnie.
willyz

Postby willyz » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:48 am

DSOP wrote:I loved Stewart in his hey-day, but no way would I rather hear him over Vinnie.

I'm really just meaning Police tunes- I just think they sound the best when played by the Police. Sting's solo material- well, there's a reason why Stew didn't get that phone call!
Got Blushda?
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:54 am

While I'm a huge Stewart fan, I think that today on The Police's music, Vinnie plays ala Stewart's style way better than Stewart himself.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Brandon Burr

Postby Brandon Burr » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:57 am

....apples and oranges, willyz.

That said, it doesn't get much better than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A154OavghI
"They're just chunky enough...a little chocolatey..." - VC (12)
bored at work

Postby bored at work » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:07 am

I saw Th e Police reunion in London in September 2007. Stewart's playing left me less than inspired, it was like he was out of shape, he kept stopping and starting.

You know what I'd prefer? Vinnie from 20 years ago playing Police tunes!
baht habit

Postby baht habit » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:06 am

willyz wrote:Look- I'm just going to throw this out there (and I'm sure that it's been said before and that I'd hope the majority of you cats agree with me), but as hip as it is (and always has been) to see Vinnie rock the Police catalog... he's got nothing on good 'ol Stewart Copeland.

I hope that the statement above isn't a dirty and dangerous comment... we're all smarter than that, right?

:D

Is your last sentence designed to decrease the amount of debate over your observation? ;) You'll probably not think I am all that smart, but what the heck...

I'll tell you what I've noticed that Colaiuta has got on Copeland: attention to detail and precision regarding exactly how he approaches his instrument, solid tempos from start to finish of a song, and the willingness and discipline to play within the context of the composition. Copeland was definitely an exciting drummer in his time, but it was obvious to me that he wanted to be noticed more than he wanted to contribute a strong foundation. And from what was evident of The Police Reunion Tour, Stewart Copeland hasn't evolved much as a player. He still exudes such an adolescent attitude and yet can no longer compensate for that with powerhouse banging on the drums anymore.

Just watch how Sting reacted to this particular display of amateurish drumming:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UL_rhTjsQ8

And when you really break it down, there hasn't been all that many tracks written by Sting while in the Police that Colaiuta has been tasked to perform throughout the years: Roxanne, Next To You, Message In A Bottle, Walking On The Moon, Bring On The Night / When The World Is Running Down, Driven To Tears, Spirits In The Material World, Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic, Demolition Man, Synchronicity II, Every Breath You Take, King Of Pain, Wrapped Around Your Finger and Tea In The Sahara. He's been able to perform them all with great competence and in my opinion, actually improved upon a good number of them - for he rarely settles for merely copying Copeland's parts such as Josh Freese or Abraham Laboriel Jr have done when their turns came to play that stuff. If a listener requires hearing those parts or actually reveres that style of playing, I suppose I could comprehend how they would claim that Colaiuta's playing doesn't measure up to Copeland's playing....but after the numerous Sting gigs I've attended over the years and witnessing some world class drumming, I can't help but view Copeland's style as mere child's play.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:54 am

baht habit wrote:
willyz wrote:I can't help but view Copeland's style as mere child's play.

Return to “Drumming Chat”