Vinnie out with 60 year-old bass player

Kurtis

Re: Vinnie out with 60 year-old bass player

Postby Kurtis » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:31 pm

Would like to hear Vinnie on a Yamaha PHX kit and some Zildjian cymbals. I'm sure if he showed up at a studio session and those were the drums and cymbals set up he would use them. He would also sound amazing.
willyz

Postby willyz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:51 pm

I'm sure he'd sound great on anything, but I too am curious about what he'd do on the more "exotic" woods like the PHX kits or Bubinga.

Actually, after hearing Todd's kit live and playing the one he has in his studio I'm rather sold on the Bubinga/Maple combo.

I like Vinnie's new sound- it's a bit... softer, perhaps than the Gretsch/Zildjian combo, but there's something very smooth about those 602's...
Got Blushda?
willyz

Postby willyz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:56 am

(switch these to 720p and it's decent)

I'm really not in to the Violin player. It's like having a violin player in the band just to have a violin player in the band. Doesn't fit at all.

Got Blushda?
baht habit

Postby baht habit » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:00 am

willyz wrote:
I'm really not in to the Violin player. It's like having a violin player in the band just to have a violin player in the band. Doesn't fit at all.

I can't help but be slightly amused at such a dismissal of having violinist Peter Tickell in Sting's band when that dismissal is immediately followed by a clip of a song that heavily featured violin in it's original studio version from 1999...a majestic violin part that was even performed by the sister, Kathryn Tickell, of this current member of Sting's band. She has been a recurring contributor to Sting's music for the past two decades, and when you take into account that certain keyboardists were apt to create parts utilizing the sound of strings, perhaps we could possibly conclude that the presence of a violin should not be considered all that foreign when it comes to Sting's music?
In the case of Peter Tickell, I've seen him perform three times with Sting and he proved to me that he has a strong knowledge of various forms of music - classical, folk, jazz, country and especially the Celtic music that Sting leans on time and time again for inspiration. He easily handled parts previously performed on horns or keyboards - and he appropriately contributed the mandolin on tracks like All This Time -which originally featured mandolin- and surprisingly enough, an effective rendition of Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic. I heard shades of Stéphane Grappelli, Jerry Goodman, Didier Lockwood in this kid's playing - he brought an exciting spark with his soloing. So Tickell's inclusion in this band is not that far out of the ordinary for an artist whose music is as malleable as that of Sting.
I can recall how negative the reaction was in the 80s from the musically conservative and typically narrow minded fans of the Police towards saxophonist Branford Marsalis being featured soloist on rearrangements of Sting's material initially recorded with his former band. Sting has kept up a constant penchant for introducing intriguing players to a pop music audience. Trumpeter Chris Botti was another featured soloist who most likely had a good portion of closed minded individuals scratching their heads. Tickell is merely the latest in a list of players that Sting has chosen to bring to a wider audience. Fortunately, Sting feels no need to ghettoize his music and maintain a performing lineup of musicians so strictly structured within a rock/pop framework.
willyz

Postby willyz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:51 am

You're allowed to be amused. I'm not into violin in this context- just not my cup of tea. ...so, um, sorry? :|
Got Blushda?
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:57 am

But Branford is a genius man, and can you remember all thos sax solo in the Pop seeting during the 80s ? Mike Brecker did so much solo...

But as for my own taste, I don't say that the boy can't play, I just say that I could easily do it without him, and without the back singer too.

When Sting came out with The Blue Turtles, it was a revolution man !!!
Only stupid closed Jazzman or Rockman could say someting negative about that band, but hell, you don't do success for pleasing those mofo. :D
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
JCE

Postby JCE » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:57 pm

Soundwise, my favorite period of Vinnie´s Gretsch years, great definition, yet full and warm....always loved this snare, anyone know which it is?!:) and yes i know, old well known clip....
JCE

Postby JCE » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:58 pm

amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:49 am

Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:40 pm

yeah I don't dig the sound of the violin in that band either, regardless of how good the guy is.

Return to “Drumming Chat”