Vinnie out with 60 year-old bass player

Matthijs Ament

Re: Vinnie out with 60 year-old bass player

Postby Matthijs Ament » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:16 pm

I like the (hi-end) Zildjians because they seem to have a more complex pallet of sound colors. Paistes en Meinl cymbals are great but are more focussed. It might have to do with the fact that Paistes/Meinl are made out of sheet metal, and Zildjian and Sabian are die cast. Also volume wise there are differences, Zilds are loud :D
Vinnie seems to be in a different mood lately...calling the music industry 'the new Titanic' and all that. It amazes me how Weckl can stay so 'up and running' trying new ways of dealing with the New Boss.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:20 pm

We don't know how well Weck is doing.
I mean, I want all these guys to succeed, but we don't know what goes on behind closed doors.
Niles

Postby Niles » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:I hear what you're saying Paul, they've never had the fullness to my ear, the sound is kind of thinner over all in my opinion.

I just think the Zildjians sound significantly better.

I love Paiste and I don't play Zildjian, but I think Vinnie's old A Customs sounded better... Just more oomph - thin cymbals but with body... A lot of guys switch from A's to Paiste and end up having to go up in size with the P's to try and get the same tone and projection...
Matthijs Ament

Postby Matthijs Ament » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:41 pm

Agreed of course, but I meant that Vinnie explained a few months ago, here in Holland, that he won't be making any solo CD because of the horrible return on investment of such an undertaking. At the same time Weckl does/try it anyway by new means of fund raising. Whether Weckl is doing so out of necessity or not, he 'shows' an upbeat mood. This free download stuff is truly destroying a lot of work. What is even worse, ticket fees for live concerts are also sky rocketing over here in Europe.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:54 pm

Niles wrote:A lot of guys switch from A's to Paiste and end up having to go up in size with the P's to try and get the same tone and projection...

That makes absolutely no sense at all. If someone prefers the tone and "projection" of Zildjian's A Customs, why would they bother switching to Paiste? I'll tell you why. Paiste makes SEVERAL lines of cymbals that are all quite different from each other, yet sound incredible, are ridiculously consistent, and sound like nothing else out there. If it's not a sound that appeals to you, you don't switch. Until you've played a set of Paistes for a while, and especially recorded with them or played in a band with them, you won't fully appreciate how magical they really are.

Zildjian has been hit or miss for a long time. If I was going for a turkish vibe, and didn't dig the Paiste Traditionals (which I love), I'd opt for Istanbul Agop or Mehmet. It would necessitate trying a LOT of cymbals to find the gems though.
langmick

Postby langmick » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:54 pm

I have a 602 20" ride and it is definitely not a loud cymbal. It has a wonderful bell but is a softer cymbal all over.

But that's what 2002s are for, to not be soft, and they aren't.

I dig his sound now, it's cleaner, I want to hear him with those Giant Beats, that's gotta be interesting.

Just got a 22" dark crisp masters in the mail today...I cant wait to play it this weekend on the gig.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:07 pm

langmick wrote:Just got a 22" dark crisp masters in the mail today...I cant wait to play it this weekend on the gig.

I'm jealous. That is an amazing ride. I'll probably have to get one eventually.
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:07 pm

I've been in the market for another set of hi-hats and looked and listened to some used Paiste Signature and Twenty series. What's the deal with them not making 13's in any of the series anymore?
langmick

Postby langmick » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:16 pm

It is a nice piece of metallic art. It is a gorgeous LOOKING cymbal.

I played on at Drum World in Pittsburgh when theycame out, great drum shop, and I almost bought it, but I needed other stuff.

I got this used, and its a bit less.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Haha...risky fill at 3:40 >>>

Return to “Drumming Chat”