The word of God

john lamb

Re: The word of God

Postby john lamb » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:20 pm

beautiful. I love his use of tonality. When he finally hits that rack tom for the first time it is a thing of beauty!
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums
langmick

Postby langmick » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:37 pm

I enjoy listening to Tony talk about drums just as much as listening to him playing the drums. A true intellectual.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:33 pm

this is on the Tony Solos DVD (That DSOP Bashed hard BTW an ironic thing this thread) that was advertised on this forum, search and find. its on the torrents as well.

the DVD version is higher quality then this, has more and is longer. Tony rocked it. every time.

gotta love the CS Dots! they stay on one of my kits just as a homage to the master.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:15 am

@24:25...I hold the sticks tightly and do not rely on rebound.
WOW...talk about adding fuel to the technique fire! Is this more of what
Virgil does over Vinnie and Dave? Playing into rather than pulling out.

@ 44:00...that rare combo of finesse and power with creative fire. Those toms
tuned so signature and instantly identifiable fills.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
groober

Postby groober » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:53 am

There is some more footage of Vinnie in a different Zildjian day with Peter Erskine and Friends(most of steps ahead),Kenny aronoff and more. Has anyone seen that floating around.
Have a nice day 12
drumsrdrugs

Postby drumsrdrugs » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:47 pm

This is really great. So much information here. I love that he's got an opinion, isn't trying to make you like him and is willing to let his opinion be known. So many people are afraid to let their true opinion be voiced. He's got an idea of what a drummer should be able to do. He's got a concept around brushes vs. sticks.... etc. I really appreciated hearing all of this. Thank you for sharing!

Side note. I saw him to a clinic at Santa Clara University in the early 90's. He played a double stroke roll for what seemed like 5 minutes and it was hypnotic. When he started putting phrases around the kit we all started loosing our minds. Seriously, I want a yellow kit! I play pop/groove music mostly, and have no chops... but F* it. Inspiring! If I think about Tony when I sit down at the kit, maybe I'll groove better... who cares, it would be fun!
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:09 pm

I bought this new Miles box set and it includes a DVD. Tony is so ahead of his time here (1967) it's sick. He has the ability to decapitate with his playing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AR ... B005ARYEY6
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:52 pm

drumsrdrugs wrote:This is really great. So much information here. I love that he's got an opinion, isn't trying to make you like him and is willing to let his opinion be known. So many people are afraid to let their true opinion be voiced. He's got an idea of what a drummer should be able to do. He's got a concept around brushes vs. sticks.... etc. I really appreciated hearing all of this. Thank you for sharing!

Side note. I saw him to a clinic at Santa Clara University in the early 90's. He played a double stroke roll for what seemed like 5 minutes and it was hypnotic. When he started putting phrases around the kit we all started loosing our minds. Seriously, I want a yellow kit! I play pop/groove music mostly, and have no chops... but F* it. Inspiring! If I think about Tony when I sit down at the kit, maybe I'll groove better... who cares, it would be fun!

My dream kit is a grestch in Vinnie sizes but in TW Yellow.Tits! lol
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:14 pm

I just ordered black dots for my entire set - top and bottom - snare - bass drum.
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:44 pm

DSOP wrote:I just ordered black dots for my entire set - top and bottom - snare - bass drum.

Only God could play brushes on a clear black dot and make it sound great!
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III

Return to “Drumming Chat”