Bruner with Holdsworth (Dan Quayle Edition)

S.P

Re: Bruner with Holdsworth (Dan Quayle Edition)

Postby S.P » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:13 am

I thought it was funny when someone said "these guys should be fucking running the country" at about 1:49. I liked bits of this clip...having said that, I saw Ronald with Kenny Garrett in Hong Kong and they absolutely killed it!
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:10 pm

DSOP wrote:I want to see this go to 50 pages....
50 pages for an 8th note...Yeah! Keep 'em comin'!

Morgenthaler wrote:This thread awright is pure moleculerization, awright
At this point we're way beyond molecularization, it's not even atomization, it's quarkazation!! or could it be bosonization?!?

Sometimes a mistake follows you a long time.
About 20 years ago I was in a pick up band for big corporate/wedding gigs. The bandleader couldn't find a keyboardist in town so he called an ex-member who had moved to Montreal starting to make a name of himself and was MD on a TV show. The guy accepted and made the 3-hour drive (I guess the money was good).
The guy was a virtuoso with perfect pitch and could sight read anything. Now people with perfect pitch are really annoyed by out of tune instruments even by a nanocomma.
So he was constantly yelling at the guitar, bass and sax players: "You're too flat!...You're too sharp!".
So we we're playing a tune with a busy tutti finale and this keyboardist played the last note totally out of tune and out of time after everybody.
We all started laughing but we noticed that the guy didn't find it funny at all.
During the break he took us apart: "Guys I'm seroius, this mustn't go any further than these walls. I got a reputation. Nobody in Montreal should know that I made a mistake on a wedding gig here. NOBODY, IS THAT CLEAR!!".
"Take it easy man, we all make mistakes and crack up about it!"
"NOT ME!"
If he hadn't reacted like that, we would have forgotten but we teased him with that for the rest of the night and beyond.
I came across him a couple times over the years, last time he was touring with Gino Vannelli...and he was still anal about it!
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:46 pm

Except that there is NO msitake from Ronald, some like him, so don't, it's ok and normal, nothing much I would say, to each his own.

But still, he's an animal !!! :D
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:09 pm

At second glance, he did not drop a beat. He was dead on on the fill. I apologize for the dropping the beat comment that I had previously stated. He is a mutant, with sick abilities. I should go practice.
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:11 pm

THERE'S A FREAKING AUDIO CLIP IN THIS THREAD WITH THAT PART SLOWED DOWN. WHY ARE WE STILL DEBATING THIS??? THERE WAS NO REAL MESS UP. SHOULDN'T MATTER ANYWAYS FOR VINNIE'S SAKE.
Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:22 pm

I love this debate because everyone is wrong and everyone is right. It's easy to try and think of drumming as a skill because it IS a skill until you become an artist. All the big time professionals are artists. They play they way THEY want to, and make a living at it. We can talk about what we like as much as we want. Drumming is an art form, and Ronald Bruner is a particular type of artist. You don't have to like his approach. Obviously Kenny Garret, Suicidal Tendencies, Allan and many more like his approach. Yes, he's fearless and he over plays constantly. He has a nice groove, but I don't think it's that deep(MY opinion). Whatever. He is what he is. He's a monster drummer either way. If you don't like him, don't listen to him. Listen to the drummer YOU like.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:52 am

Andrew<3'sVinnie wrote:THERE'S A FREAKING AUDIO CLIP IN THIS THREAD WITH THAT PART SLOWED DOWN. WHY ARE WE STILL DEBATING THIS??? THERE WAS NO REAL MESS UP. SHOULDN'T MATTER ANYWAYS FOR VINNIE'S SAKE.

Yeah sure, except that I don't need a freaking slowed down audio clip for hearing if it's tight or not. ;-)

And yes Robert I agree with you, with have to listen the musicians we love.
Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:19 am

Andrew<3'sVinnie wrote:THERE'S A FREAKING AUDIO CLIP IN THIS THREAD WITH THAT PART SLOWED DOWN. WHY ARE WE STILL DEBATING THIS??? THERE WAS NO REAL MESS UP. SHOULDN'T MATTER ANYWAYS FOR VINNIE'S SAKE.

Didn't see it. So, consider this my apology for apologizing. Almost 10 pages!
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:14 am

Tom Reschke wrote:Almost 10 pages!

Let's go for at least 15! :)
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:16 am

What ? :D

Trying to contribute to go for the 15 page...

Return to “Drumming Chat”