Let's talk ELVIN!!!!

Yussuf

Re: Let's talk EVLIN!!!

Postby Yussuf » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:17 am

Hearing Elvin soar with Coltrane Quartet on the live at Birdland -record and particularly "Afro Blue" pretty much was a lifechanging moment for me.
I like early Elvin too, Sonny Rollins Live at the Vanguard from 1957 is great, swings incredibly with that polyrhythmic action evident already.
Sonny Sharrocks "Ask the ages" is great. There's a great ballad from Joe Lovanos Trio fascination -record called "ghost of a chance" featuring Elvins brush mastery. I keep listening that track again and again. Coltrane plays ballads is great too. The list goes on and on....
Elvin!!!!
matthughen

Postby matthughen » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:59 pm

Elvin Jones ... "acts."
Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:25 pm

I know it's the go to for everyone, but A Love Supreme is just ridiculous. The second track, Resolution, changed the way I thought about jazz, about music, about drumming, about intensity, about life. The way that Elvin, and the entire band play that album, and especially THAT track... is effing mindblowing. It's why I hate playing jazz gigs in restaurants as background music. That album, and that song, made me realize just how far I had (and have) to go, and just what music can be, and should be.

I transcribed the solo from the first tune of off The Real McCoy when I was in college, and when I asked him if it was correct, Ed Soph was like, "Note wise? Close enough. Best of luck playing it."

Elvin!!!!!!!!!!!!
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
cjbdrm

Postby cjbdrm » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:58 pm

There's a quote from Paul Simon, I think...about the music you listen to between the ages of 18-21 being the most important or influential in your life...well I'm happy to say that I discovered this album during that time...

8-)
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:05 pm

Elvin is one bad mofo... beautiful musician.
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:07 pm

Rodge

Re: Let's talk ELVIN!!!!

Postby Rodge » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:23 am

"Speak No Evil" is the shit, and Elvin one of the best driver ever, I just love that guy, and Wayne is one of my favorite composer ever !!!

I mean, think about all that great stuff he wrote for him, for Miles, AND, for Weather Report, he's truly blessed, and us too to be able to enjoy that kind of Genius.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:53 am

Thanks Steve for sharing this... you nailed it.. I too appreciate your enthusiasm!! That’s why I love the drummer-hang… to do just that… Pull a CD and share its impact on you…

I second "A Love Supreme" as one of my all time favorite Elvin Jones playing.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:35 am

DeeP_FRieD wrote:

And an excellent play along source for sax players !!
The sax is on the left. Almost pure left.

http://open.spotify.com/album/5DXmUb5WnwvBeNJDgXx3sL
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:25 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:

Thanks so much, Steve. Your enthusiasm is contagious and well placed. For me, it's Elvin, Tony, and Jack - but not exclusively. Elvin is a complete assassin, he kills. Quarter note pulse, yeah, but the stuff in the cracks makes all the difference. And the Wayne stuff has killed me forever, relatively speaking. Think I first heard Speak No Evil in the '70s when I got into Miles and Weather Report. Everybody should check out Wayne's Blue Note albums from the '60s. Beautiful stuff, all of it. Night Dreamer, Juju, Speak No Evil, and the less noticed Etcetera with (I think) Joe Chambers on drums are classics. Wearing the metaphor thin, but go check this stuff out. Mostly Elvin on drums, as i recall .... Elvin, what can we say?

Return to “Drumming Chat”