Sting w/ Vinnie on Letterman!

kinkymook

Re: Sting w/ Vinnie on Letterman!

Postby kinkymook » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:35 am

Vinnie has been hitting VERY hard over the last 10yrs or so. What happened to the Bruce Lee technique? In the Beck at R Scotts Dvd he's got the earplugs jammed in his ears and he's hitting the drums ala Aronoff. I miss the more fluid, graceful strokes with the same intensity and volume. Just sayin..
D.
sejuba

Postby sejuba » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:05 am

Morgenthaler wrote:(dare I say) I was quite underwhelmed with the arrangement. It didn't move me in any way.
I do love how Vinnie still manages to squeeze in things like those at 2:52, but otherwise the thing as a whole was quite boring to me.

Its not the drummer's fault, the song they picked was really lame (IMHO). On the other hand, I don't understand how people in this forum will get so fanatical at times about Vinnie Colaiuta.
Its like, "oh Vinnie just touched his hi hat I'm having an orgasm". I mean, yes he did a good job (imo) but c'mon, relax.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:30 am

Vinnie touched his hi-hat? :shock:

When? :?

How? :x

Why? :o

I'm gonna go touch my hi-hat, too. Got some A Custom Mastersounds coming in. Should be here in a week or so. :twisted:
sejuba

Postby sejuba » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:47 am

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:Vinnie touched his hi-hat? :shock:

When? :?

How? :x

Why? :o

I'm gonna go touch my hi-hat, too. Got some A Custom Mastersounds coming in. Should be here in a week or so. :twisted:

I think if you really wanna feel it, you'd be better off with Bosphorus hi hats. Thats what the real champions are using nowadays...
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:25 am

Jean-Paul wrote:Another thing that I noticed is that Vinnie is hitting harder and harder.
... but this "slammin' the drums approach" gets to a point that it doesn't sound very musical and even tends to sound like overplaying.

I thought he played hard from day one, but it goes both ways. I've seen him lay soft, but having seen him in the 80s and 90s (live) I don't see a lot of difference. He's always hit fairly hard in my opinion.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:10 am

Old Pit Guy wrote:
Jean-Paul wrote:Another thing that I noticed is that Vinnie is hitting harder and harder.
... but this "slammin' the drums approach" gets to a point that it doesn't sound very musical and even tends to sound like overplaying.

I thought he played hard from day one, but it goes both ways. I've seen him lay soft, but having seen him in the 80s and 90s (live) I don't see a lot of difference. He's always hit fairly hard in my opinion.

I saw him last year for the first time with herbie hancock and I was expecting some blistering display of chops. I shouldn't have. He really touched the drums and made an almost perfect musical statement...
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.

Return to “Drumming Chat”