Weckl/Coleman "Duel" at Drum Fantasy Camp

Steven Orkin

Weckl/Coleman "Duel" at Drum Fantasy Camp

Postby Steven Orkin » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:47 am

Hey guys - thought you might enjoy this fun moment from the 2011 Drum Fantasy Camp. It happened on the last night of the camp during one of our three "Jam Nights."

Dave and Chris got up to play together but, of course, it ended in a fun "duel" that went on for around 10 minutes. This was one of several similar "incidents" we caught on-camera. Dave and Chris jammed another night - but Chris was on bass! Smokin'. Lots of other fun moments with the other instructors, as well.

Anyway, enjoy. I'll put up a full camp recap soon.

http://youtu.be/s5MQhG1mf4I
circh bustom

Re: Weckl/Coleman "Duel" at Drum Fantasy Camp

Postby circh bustom » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:22 am

Baron Browne has played with the greatest drummers who have ever lived, yet when he is listening to Chris here, he is beaming AND amazed at what he is hearing. Coleman will be a legend.
perksworks

Postby perksworks » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:25 am

Wow wow wow wow wow. I can't say enough good things about Dave in this Video. Absolutely amazing. For me it is a side of his playing that I've never personally really seen before and I am so impressed at his musical reflexes and instincts. Plus the fact that you can still hear his personal tone and sound in this type of recording speaks volumes. Stunning.

Just a quick clarifying edit. I'm not as familiar seeing Dave in such an open setting where there is absolutely nothing prepared or arranged and you get to see how his ears respond to information in the moment. I love seeing how he responds to what's going on around him. Amazing musicality considering the circumstances.
Last edited by perksworks on Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:37 pm

In these types of settings Dave's strength's are not as visible. These types of things are designed for non-musician fans. By non-musician I mean weekend warriors, amateur players, and dabblers. There's nothing deep about blistering 16th and 32nd notes, also in triplet form, grouped every way possible for the purpose of showing off. Chris knows this, Dave knows this. We musicians know this. Battling back and forth, playing different versions of the same rhythms over and over for the purpose of applause. It has no musical point.

They are being paid a fine fee, so they put on a little show for these people. Dave's strength is application of these groupings, musicality , dynamics, as well as amazing accurate time. Chris Coleman has tons of physical ability on the drum kit. Musically, in my opinion, he is not at Dave's level as far as sound, time, and musicality. His taste level is under developed because he does not have the playing experience Dave has. Mr Weckl is a great technician, but it's his ability to play tastefully and musically that earn him his accolades. I have seen Chris play with musicians many times, and although he has physical mastery of the kit, I feel his musicality is severely underdeveloped and his time a bit wishy washy. Much like Ronald Bruner Jr, and other drummers who constantly over play simply because they can.

To me these drum duels are boring. It's just 2 guys playing licks over and over again. No real improv, no context, and no song form. It's like watching 2 guys lift weights. Who can lift the most?? The drum kit is probably the most misunderstood, misused instrument in modern music.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:53 pm

I loved it! It's so nice to hear two drummers really listening to each other, giving each other space and playing so musically. Too bad the audio isn't great. You can't really hear what Baron Browne is playing during the first half.
Patrick Tiglao

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:11 pm

I too loved it...They played together ..You can clearly see Coleman's respect and love for Dave . As well as vice versa...You barely make it out but you can Dave admiring Chris as well..Baron Browne had the best seat in the house!
There is nothing left to say.
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:35 pm

Mr. Bluman, with all due respect, um, really? Coleman is not thirty yet. Which means weckl was gigging around New York when Coleman was in diapers. I should hope no matter what Coleman played, Weckl's musicality would could and should be far superior to Coleman's. I thought Coleman held his own with what was played. Weckl didnt do his octopus cowbell latiny thing that makes him so awesome. To compare the two is really ludicrous. Many criticized Weckl when he was young too. Coleman is finding his way. He has to learn for himself what works and what doesnt. Also, this was a camp for drummers. And I know as a drummer, I love to see drummers rip it up. When they started really trading licks at the end, each playing a variation on the others lick, come on. That was great. Feel free to enjoy your opinion, but wait and measure Coleman's musicality in 20 years and see where he is.
Also, having been obsessed with snare tuning as of late, hearing Weckl's snare without the coloring of mic's, effects and whatnot was appreciated.
Manu

Postby Manu » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:58 pm

I had just seen this on facebook, Dave is so musical and has so much taste. Coleman is a monster on the kit, but being so close to Dave I hope he absorbed some of that musical wisdom to play tastefully and not just blow because you can.
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:13 am

Robert Bluman wrote:Battling back and forth, playing different versions of the same rhythms over and over for the purpose of applause. It has no musical point.
They are being paid a fine fee, so they put on a little show for these people.

Why so cynical? Could they be doing this for -- dare I say -- fun?
Matthijs Ament

Postby Matthijs Ament » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:28 am

LoL Lucas! I had the honor to take private lessons with Chris summer 2010. He also took me with him to some local gigs in LA and some great restaurants as well ... the man 'is' great fun! To my ears he is very musically, it's just a different vocabulary. But I'm not really a fan regarding drum battles.

Return to “Drumming Chat”