Maple, 2 up, 2 down, 1000 GBP?

Richard Lovelock

Maple, 2 up, 2 down, 1000 GBP?

Postby Richard Lovelock » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:24 pm

In January (home from an epic 29 date tour) I'll be picking up a new kit. Looking for something I can chuck in the back of the van and not worry about too much (rules out the DW Collectors series etc).

Maximum budget of 1000 GBP ish. Still need to get new hardcases, hardware and cymbals.

Preferably maple, 10, 12, 14 and 16 toms, 20-22 inch kick drum, not fussed about a snare.

Just wondering what your thoughts are!?

Been looking at -
PDP Platinum Series
Tama Superstar Hyperdrive
PDP X7
Gretsch Catalina Maple

I realise that these aren't great kits, but that's kind of the point.
I want to be able to upgrade again in a few years to my dream DW.

No suggestions of saving up, I need an upgrade fast! My current kit is a Pearl World Series (unheard of on the web)
and made from either balsa wood or matchsticks! :)

Any other suggestions, reasons I should avoid any of the above, reasons I should definitely go for one of the above, and everything else in between is welcome!

Look forward to hearing a response!

Richard 'titch' Lovelock

www.myspace.com/richard_lovelock
Richard Lovelock

Re: Maple, 2 up, 2 down, 1000 GBP?

Postby Richard Lovelock » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:49 pm

I guess I'm looking in the wrong place for advice?
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:12 pm

I´m liking my Sonor 3007...
The Yammies Rock Tour seem to be a nice choice too!
Matus

Postby Matus » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:04 pm

I assume your 1000 GBP budget will be spent entirely on shells.
If you're looking only at maple sets, you might be quite happy with either the Yamaha Tour Custom (Rock Tour sets are made of mahogany) and the Gretsch Catalina Maple. Those are the only "cheap" maple kit that sound consistent to my ears. PDPs, for instance, just lack something on their toms while having great kicks and snares.
Now, if you take a look at other woods, you might find cheaper solutions. I've always had great experiences with mahogany kits mixed with higher level snares/cymbals/hardware. They're not maple but with the right sizes and head choice you can get a very convincing result.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Richard Lovelock

Postby Richard Lovelock » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:24 pm

Yeah- 1000 for Toms and Kick. I'm only saying maple as I'm lead to believe it's one of the better woods out there (exluding the lovely exotic stuff) ??

Liking the look of the Rock tour set.
I'm guessing around that price bracket, most brands will offer similar sound quality?
so now I'm being picky and looking more at acceptable finishes (Can't stand those sunburst things), Undrilled bass drums etc.
Richard Lovelock

Postby Richard Lovelock » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:26 pm

Yeah- 1000 for Toms and Kick. I'm only saying maple as I'm lead to believe it's one of the better woods out there (exluding the lovely exotic stuff) ??

I'm guessing around that price bracket, most brands will offer similar sound quality?
so now I'm being picky and looking more at acceptable finishes (Can't stand those sunburst things), Undrilled bass drums etc.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:11 pm

Buy a used set. There are millions available all over the place. You might not find the exact sizes you want, but you'll get close.

But if you know exactly what you want, just pony up and buy it now. Beg, borrow or steal the money. Check out Gretsch and Canopus too.
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:12 pm

I'm a Gretsch guy and what I've heard of the Catalina Maple I liked. I have a Catalina mahogany that I don't care for so much live but for recording, OMG they sound fantastic!!! Of course, my high end maple kit is incredible for everything. My first vote goes to the Gretsch Catalina Maple. My second would go to the Yamaha...they make great stuff. I've played a couple Tour Customs as provided backline and they sounded and felt very nice. I agree about looking for something used first. You might be able to find a Gretsch Renown in your price range and that would be a step up (Vinnie has been seen playing those on occasion).
Matus

Postby Matus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:32 am

Richard Lovelock wrote:Yeah- 1000 for Toms and Kick. I'm only saying maple as I'm lead to believe it's one of the better woods out there (exluding the lovely exotic stuff) ??

Rock Tour sets,as I said, are made of better quality mahogany than you'd expect.The bass drum sounds huge and the toms are nice, they come with Pinstripe heads, although I still have to try Emperors on them, especially for the 10", which sounds a bit short to me.
The finish tech is basically the same used on PHX sets, only the woods aren't so amazing. I'll try to get the black/green set, just out of pure cheesyness :mrgreen: But all of them look great, especially with the grey hardware.
But the coolest thing about them is they're extremely light. Everyone is shocked when they first pick up the bass drum, a 22"x18" that weighs less than most 20" drums. So that's an important thing to consider for gigging around.
The sound is just not maple at all. It sounds rocky, with low end and great body but you don't find that medium-high amazing ring you get with maple sets. I mean, it's your call anyway, that's why I asked about the price and the need for it being maple :)
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Paul Rivet

Postby Paul Rivet » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:06 am

For my next kit I'm very interested in the Sonor Force 3007 - had been using one of those (provided by) and with a band earlier this year. They are maple, and really sound great.

I've also tried the Gretsch Catalina Maple - they sound very nice as well, and around here anyway they cost a few hundred less than the Sonors.

here's the kits I'm considering: (and considering a meager budget...)

- Sonor Force 3007
- Gretsch Catalina Maple
- Pearl Vision VBX
- Gretsch Catalina Jazz

if I had a serious amount of cash for a kit:

- Yamaha Oak
- Yamaha Recording Custom
- Pearl Masters - played one of those last summer, sounded amazing

In my case it will be quite a while before I am able to get another kit but it's good to have a list of what you want ready - just in case that lottery ticket hits the big time!
I'm a wolf in cheap clothing

Return to “Drumming Chat”