Morgenthaler

Re: RIP Freddie Gruber

Postby Morgenthaler » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:23 pm

RIP
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:37 pm

R.I.P. Freddie Gruber

Freddie Gruber 1927-2011 was a jazz drummer and drum teacher. born on May 27, 1927.
He came up in the nascent New York be-bop scene, and gigged with Charlie Parker, among many others.
Making fast friends with his roommate, fellow drummer Buddy Rich, he observed Rich's "style, technique, and guts" over a long period and eventually based most of his teaching method on what he assimilated.
One teaching concept of Gruber's is to "have the drum stick be an extension of one's hand." It should be as natural as waving a cab or waving hello to someone on the street. Also "get out of your own way," (Don't think, just play it as it lays.)
Training students throughout his career, Gruber's student list is long and varied. It includes such drum luminaries as Frank Zappa's Vinnie Colaiuta, Neil Peart of Rush, Steve Smith of Journey, former Chick Corea drummer Dave Weckl.
Other drummers benefiting from Gruber's teaching, and conceptual prowess include session drummers Ian Wallace, Mike Baird, John Guerin, Joey Heredia, Nick Vincent, Paul Goldberg, John Mehler of Love Song, Ambrosia drummer Burleigh Drummond, and John "Vatos" Hernandez of Oingo Boingo, Michael Dubin, drummer/composer Peter Thoegersen, Royal Crown Revue's Daniel Glass, and Bruce Becker of the David Becker Tribune among many others.
October 11, 2011: Freddie Gruber passed away in Los Angeles after a long ailment.

piccupstix

Postby piccupstix » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:07 pm

Now there was the "color guy" in the booth ;)

R.I.P. Freddie...and thanks.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:28 am

"Freddie has shown me one other thing," he continues, "and that is about the beauty and importance of expressing our love and enthusiasm for each other and what we do.
Freddie has been up and down during his storied lifetime, but he has always been a true believer in music and a true giver to other people. I'm grateful for his wisdom-street wisdom,
drumming mechanics wisdom, jazz wisdom, human/life wisdom-that he imparts to our community. For drummers, Freddie is a national treasure."
~ Peter Erskine

"I've come to a period in my life where you begin to look back and wonder, 'What was it all about?'" he adds. "But I really had some fun in my life, man. And if I could do it all over again-
all the good and the bad, the ups and the downs-I would do it exactly the same and not change a thing. I really am aware, man, of the magical thing that happened here in New York.
It was a helluva ride."
~ Freddie Gruber

...these quotes are taken from this fantastic article >>>

http://jazztimes.com/articles/15079-fre ... -of-a-kind
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:53 am

Sorry to hear this sad news. I had the opportunity to see Freddie do a clinic with the late great Ian Wallace in Nashville several years ago. Although he talked A LOT, when he played, he sounded fantastic. I remember him heaping praise on Mitch Mitchell, who was in the audience, with genuine admiration.
He will be missed.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:38 am

amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:40 am

Jeremy Smirnoff

Postby Jeremy Smirnoff » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:45 am

RIP Mr. Gruber
Jeremy Smirnoff