The great Brian Blade

GoAndPractice

Re: The great Brian Blade

Postby GoAndPractice » Thu May 01, 2014 7:02 pm

amoergosum wrote:In HD...switch to 1080p and full screen!

>>>

Are those SD2 Boleros? Those sticks make a ride cymbal sound great.. but man they have a weak cross stick sound.
Damnnearkilleder

Postby Damnnearkilleder » Mon May 12, 2014 5:43 pm

Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Fri May 16, 2014 8:53 pm

This is some killer stuff. Very hip. Worth checking out again. LOL

Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheggs

Postby Cheggs » Thu May 29, 2014 5:15 pm

gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:47 am

His fellowship band is like watching a speaker on the floor of Congress. Makes me want to take a nap.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:32 pm

DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:38 pm

gretsch-o-rama wrote:His fellowship band is like watching a speaker on the floor of Congress. Makes me want to take a nap.

That really sucks for you man.
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:40 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:Image

I've got this too, and I am amazed that more people aren't talking about it. 3 CD's of Chick, Chris, and Brian just burnin!

Chick has played (and recorded as a leader) trio with so many wonderful (and DIFFERENT!) drummers, I mean just think about it: Barry Altschul, Roy Haynes, Jack, Airto, Ballard, Weckl, Vinnie, Richie Barshay, Grady Tate, Blade, Gadd, Motian, Lenny.... And that's just the TRIO stuff! What a wonderful musician.

He always manages to allow each drummer to bring out different aspects of his (Chick's) own approach, while making the specific drummer (and bassist) sound great. The musical conversations he has are so singular and so rooted in the moment. He is so transparent within the music, and he really allows people to "be themselves" within his concept. Yet no trio ever sounds "restricted" to any paradigm or approach, and every trio sounds sooooo different (as well they should.)

Chick is so free within the music it's just stupefying, he is always playing WITH the musicians that he is playing with AT THE MOMENT, (if you know what I mean.) He's always so completely in the moment! He let's the musicians around him influence how and what he plays (of course) while retaining such a strong voice that is so uniquely him.

Sure a lot of this might seem painfully obvious, but it's so enigmatic how he approaches everything with such a wonderfully empty mind, and retains such a strong musical voice.

I really pay close attention to everything (anything) he plays on, and there are VERY few musicians I can really say that about. Whether he is playing with Blue Mitchell, Sonny Stitt, Mongo, Donald Byrd, Circle, Miles, Pete Yellin, Electric, Acoustic, Solo, with an orchestra, whatever... I'm paying attention, because I will play with him someday.

I've often thought about making a playlist or a mix CD of him playing the same tune with a bunch of different trios. What an interesting study that would be!

And the last time I talked to him, I asked him what he was listening to, and without pause he replied, "The Beatles!"

I'll stop.
Back to the wonderfully talented Brian Blade!
I love music,
MSG
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
baht habit

Postby baht habit » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:59 am

Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:06 am

Man, I so love what you wrote about the now late GIANT Chick Corea, beautiful.

nomsgmusic wrote:
Paul Marangoni wrote:Image

I've got this too, and I am amazed that more people aren't talking about it. 3 CD's of Chick, Chris, and Brian just burnin!

Chick has played (and recorded as a leader) trio with so many wonderful (and DIFFERENT!) drummers, I mean just think about it: Barry Altschul, Roy Haynes, Jack, Airto, Ballard, Weckl, Vinnie, Richie Barshay, Grady Tate, Blade, Gadd, Motian, Lenny.... And that's just the TRIO stuff! What a wonderful musician.

He always manages to allow each drummer to bring out different aspects of his (Chick's) own approach, while making the specific drummer (and bassist) sound great. The musical conversations he has are so singular and so rooted in the moment. He is so transparent within the music, and he really allows people to "be themselves" within his concept. Yet no trio ever sounds "restricted" to any paradigm or approach, and every trio sounds sooooo different (as well they should.)

Chick is so free within the music it's just stupefying, he is always playing WITH the musicians that he is playing with AT THE MOMENT, (if you know what I mean.) He's always so completely in the moment! He let's the musicians around him influence how and what he plays (of course) while retaining such a strong voice that is so uniquely him.

Sure a lot of this might seem painfully obvious, but it's so enigmatic how he approaches everything with such a wonderfully empty mind, and retains such a strong musical voice.

I really pay close attention to everything (anything) he plays on, and there are VERY few musicians I can really say that about. Whether he is playing with Blue Mitchell, Sonny Stitt, Mongo, Donald Byrd, Circle, Miles, Pete Yellin, Electric, Acoustic, Solo, with an orchestra, whatever... I'm paying attention, because I will play with him someday.

I've often thought about making a playlist or a mix CD of him playing the same tune with a bunch of different trios. What an interesting study that would be!

And the last time I talked to him, I asked him what he was listening to, and without pause he replied, "The Beatles!"

I'll stop.
Back to the wonderfully talented Brian Blade!
I love music,
MSG
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...

Return to “Drumming Chat”