Vic's Drum Shop, Chicago - AMAZING!!!!

Jeremy Smirnoff

Vic's Drum Shop, Chicago - AMAZING!!!!

Postby Jeremy Smirnoff » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:59 am

A couple of days ago I attended the Grand Opening of Victor Salazar's new shop downtown Chicago and it was unbelievable! As a loyal customer of The Drum Pad (who Vic used to work for) it has surpassed my wildest expectations. The event was attended by Billy Ward, Gavin Harrison, Todd Sucherman, Terry Bozzio, Jimmy Chamberlin, Danny Seraphine, Derek Roddy, Will Calhoun, Jimmy DeGrasso, John Riley, etc... A drum geek heaven, to say the least. I have only seen Todd's and Gavin's performances, but also had a chance to hang with so many cool drummers that I haven't had a chance to catch up with in years, and I must say that Vic has the best drum store I have ever seen - a separate room for sticks, another couple for cymbals, another floor with drums, etc. Unbelievable! It was really nice to say hi to Todd S, and Gavin H, as well as a long chat with Billy Ward who was all over the place. The weird part was me jamming and screwing around on an electronic kit and Billy later complimenting me on what he heard - certainly intimidating and not expected. I brought my 9 month-pregnant girlfriend with who was so nice to accompany me considering her lack of affiliation with the drumming community, and Terry was very funny and heart-warming with her role in that. Billy was an inspiration (though he didn't play), was funny and genuine and I just want to say that Vic deserves your business for anything. He put this together and I haven't seen such a feeling of community in a while! Please DO shop there if you can. Again, my sincerest regards to Billy, Todd, Gavin, Terry, and others who were very personable and engaging. It was a blast and I wish some of you could have been there! :) Really looking forward to the Simon Phillips clinic sponsored by Vic later this month!
Jeremy Smirnoff
drums, percussion
http://www.facebook.com/jeremy.smirnoff
Juan Expósito

Re: Vic's Drum Shop, Chicago - AMAZING!!!!

Postby Juan Expósito » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:43 pm

Fantastic opening for sure !!

"It´s only 4/4"
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:07 pm

Juan Expósito wrote:

Witchcraft...
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:38 am

Jimmy Chamberlin:

Gavin Harrison

Postby Gavin Harrison » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:54 am

Great time at Vic's Drum Shop on Saturday - met so many people my head was spinning.

sorry but I had to pull the videos. Sounded too bad to my ears and I prefer to control the quality of the stuff out there whenever I can.

good to meet you Jeremy!

cheers
Gavin
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:27 am

100% full of sense, Gavin.
Good criteria.

And good review Jeremy !!
drumnhands

Postby drumnhands » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:29 am

I'll be visiting Victor on the way to PASIC a week from Sunday. Looking forward to seeing the new place for sure. On this road trip we'll enjoy Memphis Drum Shop, Explorer's Percussion in Kansas City, Vic's, Chicago Music Exchange, The Drum Pad, and IRC and Chops in Indy, then PASIC. Going to be a drumalicious road trip for sure(and my travel rod, reel and tackle will be with me in case I get a chance to visit a local lake or pond). This is why my Wife calls my business trips "workations".

Have I ever said how much I love my job?
Jeremy Smirnoff

Postby Jeremy Smirnoff » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:11 am

Thanks, Gavin. Great to meet ya as well. Sorry you didn't think the quality was up to par - it sounded good to my ears when I was there, but I certainly can relate. I wish a couple of videos of mine were wiped out of existence altogether. :)

Anyway, still kind of processing the entire experience, it was a great shop and a wonderful hang!
Jeremy Smirnoff
drums, percussion
http://www.facebook.com/jeremy.smirnoff

Return to “Drumming Chat”