Drum Hardware

DSOP

Re: Drum Hardware

Postby DSOP » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:13 am

bstocky wrote:What don't you like about the Yamaha tom arms/mount?

They're okay, but they're really a kludge if you ask me. I'm referring to the YESS mounts. They basically took their original mount, attached it to an intermediate bracket, and then that bracket attaches to the shell. Not exactly elegant.
Matus

Postby Matus » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:05 am

Actually, the YESS concept does far more than that.
The main issue with RIMS-based mounting systems is that all the stress is put on the tuning rods (like the original RIMS, the Optimount and all similar ones) or the lugs (like DW or Mapex). Only Tama got it right by putting the mountin right on the rim, but it's a bit bouncy for my tastes. The YESS actually puts that stress on the nodal point of the shell, which is a way of avoiding the mounting arm coming through the shell without compromising the sound.
You gotta check out the new YESS. Sure, it's the same concept, only improved. They added an extra support point and enhanced plate. We compared both at an artist meeting a couple years ago and you could hear the difference. So far, the new YESS is the best all-around mounting system I've tried. Some others outperform it in specific areas, you get the idea.
Besides that, it's been a while since I last saw something really cool in hardware. Pearl and Yamaha really made some cool improvements in the last few years. Like the multi-angled boom stand from Pearl or the Hex Rack (you gotta admit having the rack bar go through the mounting ball is kinda clever).
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:43 pm

Matus wrote:So far, the new YESS is the best all-around mounting system I've tried.

Nothing like attaching a car bumper to a drum... Seriously though, that thing is hideous, sorry.

As far as this whole "nodal point" thing goes, I don't buy it. I prefer the original YESS mount to anything out there (although I like the Tama mount but have never played it), but it's got a lot of room for improvement.
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:26 pm

I've definitely noticed a (positive) difference between the new YESS and the previous generation. Every 10" tom I played would choke out with the previous version, true for maple, maple CA, birch, and oak. They sing with the current system.
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:47 pm

DSOP, what is it that you want out of the mounts that you have not currently found? Any brand, type or size.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:00 pm

I dunno, I just wanna be amazed I guess. Like if Bang & Olufsen designed it or something.
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:48 pm

DSOP, I basically agree with what you are saying. I have been saying for a while ("somewhat" sarcastically) that the four best "inventions" in drum gear of the last 20 years has been Evans' Magnetic key (that stays put on a lug, and doesn't rattle around;) Thrones that are ACTUALLY comfortable and don't move or hurt to sit on for hours (thanks Roc and Soc!!!!) the hi hat clutches that lock with the little set screw in between the cymbals (I still use the DW one, but I'm sure there are others.) And the cymbal bag with the slide out handle and the built in wheels!

I agree with the sentiment that the Yamaha tom mounts are (by far) the best out there (as is ALL there hardware!) I have mine mounted on RIMS, and I use the short rods (made for YESS mounts.) I do admit there is a little extra tension put on the tuning rods, but nothing a little tweaking can't fix. I always thought the 2 nodal point mounts on the older YESS, seemed a little shaky, when I have played them on backline kits. And the DW tom mounts (on backline kits) ALWAYS move around way too much!!! I agree that the black wood mounts on the PHX drums look pretty bad, but maybe they have improved upon them.

But as to your original thought, how many more materials and ways are "they" going to make shells from, before they can turn their full attention to better and LIGHTER, hardware. Those original 4 ideas that I mentioned must have come from "working drummers" like ourselves, and they really made working as a professional musician EASIER!!!! But I have yet to talk to another drummer on a break who has said something like, "Gee, I think (or hope) they would create drum shells vertically, or what about 23" bass drums? Or I really wish that my 12x8 tom was actually a 12x9... Or whatever (you get the point.)

How about an EASY way to boom a cowbell into the "normal position (over BD pedal,)" without having to clamp onto a nice wooden finished bass drum hoop. Maybe a nice little boom that comes off of the SD stand. and doesn't interfere with the BD beaters. Yes I know you can get one off of the tom mount, but if you have 2 rack toms, it's a little tight. How about a music stand top that you can EASILY attach to the top of a spare cymbal stand (boom or otherwise, so you can put music where you want it.) I have a nice little way to mount (one of the many great, mine is a Dr. Beat) metronomes under the HH cymbals, where it is shaded from stage lights, and easily accessible, and hardly visible. But I had to hack up a bunch of stands and clamps.

I have made all of these myself, so I'm set. But it would be nice if a big company started really thinking about the drummers out here that are playing drums for a living! LIke those original 4 ideas that I mentioned.

Anyway,
Mark
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:39 pm

nomsgmusic wrote:I have yet to talk to another drummer on a break who has said something like, "Gee, I think (or hope) they would create drum shells vertically, or what about 23" bass drums? Or I really wish that my 12x8 tom was actually a 12x9... Or whatever (you get the point.)

Ha! So true! I think it might have been John Good trying to make Neil Peart happy with the 23" bass drum. Everything else the big companies come out with is usually in reaction to what other companies are putting out. Otherwise, there would be more individuality among brands. These days, every company puts out basically the same exact thing, with only cosmetic differences. But then again, it may be the fault of us drummers, who only want to purchase what their idols are playing. I've definitely been guilty of that.
Jean-Paul

Postby Jean-Paul » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:10 am

^^ I used to do that too, haha. Looking at magazines, flyers and later the internet to see what my hero's were playing. After a while when playing in different bands I bought gear that did the job for that genre. Since I play blues and jazz I got more sound conscious and buy what I think comes as close as to what I hear in my head. But :oops: I like my 12x9" better than my old 12x8" because I feel that I have more tuning options, especially when using a 10" and 13" next to it.

What I like about the drum industry nowadays is that you can buy a proper drumset for not that much money. Entry kits have been improved and with the right heads you get a decent sound.

And let's don't forget the memory lock which is a big help.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:05 pm

Return to “Drumming Chat”