SIMON PHILLIPS - The thread about Simon

Clint Hopkins

Re: SIMON PHILLIPS - Lee Ritenour & Mike Stern videos

Postby Clint Hopkins » Fri May 04, 2012 8:47 am

french toast wrote:Oh,I AM Sorry...
I DIDN'T KNOW...

Simon played Give Blood...

Hey man, don't apologize. I've always wanted to know who played what on that CD. It's actually kind of difficult to tell on some tracks. I thought it might be Brzezicki on that track because he has had that Stewart Copeland thing going on since before 'Big Country'.
My best guess is: Simon is, of course, on 'Give Blood', 'Face the Face', and I think, 'Secondhand Love'. Brzezicki on 'Crashing by Design', 'I am Secure', 'White City Fighting', and 'Come to Mama'. The rest Clem Burke. Again, I could be totally wrong on a couple of these.
Da Chooch

Re: SIMON PHILLIPS - Lee Ritenour & Mike Stern videos

Postby Da Chooch » Fri May 04, 2012 9:36 am

Gary Husband wrote:I think the most impressive thing to me is Simon's time... which has always been pretty Immaculate. It's ridiculous in this live clip too. I've seldom heard the guy waiver.

I actually prefer Simon's drum sounds from a few years ago, and back from there. In recent years I'm not keen on the rather brittle, "digital sounding" or harder aspects of the kit sound production he's favoured lately. Then I guess I'm a bit out of sorts with this aspect in regard to the way a lot of guy's kits sound on recordings these days. I miss the warmth... the warm punch along with the power. GH

Gary, i wholeheartedly agree. his time is amazing... I also liked the way those drums sounded on the smoke n mirrors track.. i notice even in metal some are going away from the harsh processed sounds.. case in point is this iso-track by brann dailor. he does a wonderful job. reminds me of immigrant song in terms of the overal time-feel. who knows it may have been "un-digitized" for this iso-track only..

....ALWAYS let the Wookie win....
Juan Expósito

Re: SIMON PHILLIPS - The thread about Simon

Postby Juan Expósito » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:38 am

Double post.
Last edited by Juan Expósito on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:39 am

In Berklee: Simon talking about his open handed.

Recording drums: I would like to listen to the talk.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:40 pm

Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:01 pm

shotgun snare drum (i hear the wood)

...this is an amazing performance by all...Sklar learned
the gig in five days...love how they (Simon) shifted to a more cozy smaller
kit for the medley's...almost like two concerts in one. Tell me a band
that is this diverse in one concert?

Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:26 pm

So I see that I am not the only one who has been listening to Simon a whole lot recently.

Firstly, Gary I hear you about Simon's recent sound. But I also feel that same way about many people's recent recorded sounds. Don't you think that it could be due to the fact that recordings are (now) done so quickly and without a great deal of care to sounds. I just think that the "art" of recording (in general) is starting to become a lost art. Things are done so quickly, there is no time allowed to really tweek, shape, and refine sounds. Our culture has no patience, attention span, appreciation for detail etc. etc. etc... (But I digress.)

Yes I agree Simon's time is remarkable, but I really appreciate how he constructs his "parts." I have been listening to a lot of the solo Townshend (genius) stuff as well ("Empty Glass," "All The Best Cowboys," "White City") and really dig the way Simon orchestrates his grooves and fills. His "parts" really become part of the fabric of the tune. Now granted, he has many sounds to choose from, but I really feel like he uses that big kit to perfection, and he uses all of his note and sound choices wonderfully! Playing open handed also helps, and because of that, I started experimenting with open handed playing several years back, and for the process of orchestrating parts, it's a really helpful tool-approach.

As an aside, I also feel like I am the only one who LOVES that live Who stuff with Simon (the "Join Together" CD, and the DVD from the same tour.) There is also a great video of Simon with Townshend on the Deep End Tour. (ESSENTIAL!!!)

I also have a new-found and HUGE (!!!) respect for how Simon smoothes out tough music as well. I'll explain. Steve Smith was here a few weeks ago, and he brought a bunch of the Hiromi charts to teach me. So we read through all of her tunes with the charts. Simon just glides through so many difficult passages of her music, that you almost don't realize that something "odd" just passed. And isn't that the idea after all (to make music sound as natural and smooth as possible.) I'll also mention that the new Hiromi CD (not sure if it's out yet) is KILLING!!!!

I also encourage anyone to also check out how lightly Simon hits, he is really a master of touch and letting the drums and the mics do the work. I saw a Toto show from about 3 feet away from him a few years back, and I was amazed! And since someone mentioned the most recent Toto DVD, I'll also throw in a STRONG vote for the previous DVD "Live In Amsterdam." (I like it much more than the "Falling In Between" DVD.)

And since someone brought up Mark Brzsecki (or however you spell it.) What ever happened to him. I have always REALLY dug his playing!!!

MSG
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
Joe Nocella

Postby Joe Nocella » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:09 am

I don't know if this has been posted or not as I haven't read the entire thread. I'm a huge Toto and Nik Kershaw fan. If you haven't heard Simon on Nik's "Violet to Blue" from his 1986 Radio Musicola album, you're in for a real treat. Enjoy!!!!

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:02 am

Yeah Pocketplayer, that falling in between DVD is one of my favorites. Amazing playing by all. Simon just kills it. Great song selection for that tour. Love that album as well. i like the FIB better than the live from Ansterdam. Way better. Luke is such a monster player. Gregg P on keys is a great fit for the band. Love his solo.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:20 am

Just recovering some Simon´s videos from another topics:

DUET WITH GAVIN HARRISON:

WITH HIROMI:

STUDIO RECORDING DVD:

Return to “Drumming Chat”