SIMON PHILLIPS - The thread about Simon

Kurtis

Re: SIMON PHILLIPS - Lee Ritenour & Mike Stern videos

Postby Kurtis » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:12 am

Thanks for posting the drum cam links Juan.
Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:30 am

Really great, thanks! I'm always blown away by what a great sound Simon gets from his kit. For me, Weckl and Simon get the best and most consistent sound in the biz.
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:53 am

Tom Reschke wrote:For me, Weckl and Simon get the best and most consistent sound in the biz.

I coudn't agree more. There are many drummers with an identifiable sound (Bill Stewart, Jack DeJohnette, Bruford), which I also admire, but Simon and Weckl always sound the way I think drums sound the best. It's oh so tempting (and easy) to get similar setups (drum sizes, heads and tuning), but I'd hate to be another clone (sound-wise).
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:19 pm

Wow. Wow.
Finally, I could see it from start to finish.

Awesome Smoke & Mirrors version !!
Simon is leading with his left. Then he leads with his right. Then he leads with the...

Go to 5:30 and see the changes in the keys/guitar solos.
I knew Simon was GOOD on that, but this video shows it perfectly, and with a beautiful taste.
I love Simon.
Last edited by Juan Expósito on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moose

Postby moose » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:04 pm

Juan Expósito wrote:I knew Simon was GOOD on that, but this video shows it perfectly, and with a beautiful taste.
Jesus H Tittyfucking Presley. That was INTENSE!
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:01 pm

moose wrote:
Juan Expósito wrote:I knew Simon was GOOD on that, but this video shows it perfectly, and with a beautiful taste.
Jesus H Tittyfucking Presley. That was INTENSE!

Yes.
Ambidexterity serving the music.
Manu

Postby Manu » Tue May 01, 2012 12:21 pm

Simon is top elite. JAw dropping clips for sure. Wow.....
willyz

Postby willyz » Tue May 01, 2012 2:29 pm

DSOP wrote: It's oh so tempting (and easy) to get similar setups (drum sizes, heads and tuning), but I'd hate to be another clone (sound-wise).

I recall seeing Simon play with Jeff Richman at the spud within a few weeks of getting to LAMA in late 2006. Killer show- and even on the small stage, three racks, three floors... he could have used the double kick if he wanted to, though I remember talking to him at the bar over Coronas and he couldn't stop going on about how much he hated the double pedal. He looked at me and goes, "Seriously- if you're going to play double bass, use two kick drums." Maybe it was, "two fucking kicks drums" or something but still- Simon speaks and listens the same way he plays the instrument, it's always that Simon charm.

...where was I? Oh yes, Simon ALWAYS sounds the same. It's great to see relatively "older" guys like Simon and Dave really embrace the technology side of things to make their sound their own. Could you imagine Dave and Simon working on post-production on a project together?! What a sonically pleasing record that would be!
Got Blushda?
sturla

Postby sturla » Wed May 02, 2012 2:12 am

Could you imagine Dave and Simon working on post-production on a project together?! What a sonically pleasing record that would be!

Came to think of this track, "The Rumble" from West Side Story in which both Simon and Dave plays on, opposite each other (the jazzers vs the rockers). Also a cool trading bit going on...which they worked on together to pull off.

I also remember Dave once asked Simon how he mounted his bass drum mic and Simon helped him out to mount it inside his bass drum.

Simon really is something else!! He pays sooo much attention to detail but also very very musical oriented, and he has one of the most cosistent, unique and best sounding kits that seem to work in a lot of varied musical settings.
Just by his sound - I can easily spot him play on a record without knowing it is him playing.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Wed May 02, 2012 8:34 am

And Dave took his bass drum muffler from Simon´s "Traditional" system (towel + duct tape)

http://www.daveweckl.com/remo.htm

Return to “Drumming Chat”