Vinnie makes a subtle adjustment!

Badgroover

Vinnie makes a subtle adjustment!

Postby Badgroover » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:17 pm

Found this on YouTube.

At the end of the song (around 3.50) , Sting seems to sing himself out of time. Subtle glances are exchanged and then Vinnie makes the necessary adjustment to bring everybody back.
Thought you guys might find this interesting.
deseipel

Re: Vinnie makes a subtle adjustment!

Postby deseipel » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:12 pm

I'll have to listen more, but it seems like the same way they always play it, despite Sting's lyrical experiment.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:10 pm

deseipel wrote:it seems like the same way they always play it

+1
S.P

Postby S.P » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:52 am

I found nothing wrong either, the "look" moment was a bit further on than 3:50 but no one went out of time or anything.
drum6282

Postby drum6282 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:08 am

I hear the "adjustment" around 4:15 when Sting comes back in to sing - sounds like he lost where 1 was and Vinnie had to adjust to the vocal phrase - seems like he's cueing the band for the 1 a couple of seconds later.

I wonder if there was a Sting vs Vinnie moment after the show?
ha.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:30 am

Ok...I didn't catch it the first time.
Sting did loose where the 1 was. When he sings 'It's a big enough umbrella' I guess he wants to sing 'umbrella' on the one but misses it.
Vinnie plays a crash on the 1 (5/4), then the next bar (5/4) another crash on the one...he realizes that Sting is lost and adjusts...he's playing
two 4/4 bars ....then he's playing a big fat crash on the 1 again...to make sure that nobody screws up the end Vinnie proceeds to play
a big fat crash on each 1 of the remaining bars.
willyz

Postby willyz » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:52 am

It just goes to show that even after playing a tune a million times with people you've played with a million times that you still need to be listening because as much as you know the tune- you're still human and will slip sometimes.

VInnie, with as much flash as always, is still able to support the players around him and that's why he's still working today.
Got Blushda?
drum6282

Postby drum6282 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:10 am

10 bucks says Sting blasted Vinnie for his "trickery all over his tunes" (I can't remember exactly how it was phrased in a previous thread referring to Sting telling Vinnie what he plays all over his tunes and not to do it during on the Mercury Falling tour) and it's Vinnie's fault for him losing the 1.
S.P

Postby S.P » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:27 am

Ahhh, there is another video shot from the side of the stage looking only at Vinnie of this same performance floating on youtube where you can see all the signalling and Vinnie straightening things back up. What I think happens is that Vinnie plays a bit of a weird phrasing and Sting looks at him and then turns around to sing the "It's a big enough umbrella" and they are a bit lost at that point lol

S.P

Postby S.P » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:29 am

drum6282 wrote:10 bucks says Sting blasted Vinnie for his "trickery all over his tunes" (I can't remember exactly how it was phrased in a previous thread referring to Sting telling Vinnie what he plays all over his tunes and not to do it during on the Mercury Falling tour) and it's Vinnie's fault for him losing the 1.

I believe it was "Vinnie, do it again without any of that f*#%ing fol-di-rol f*#%ing baroque drumming."

Return to “Drumming Chat”