Bruner with Holdsworth (Dan Quayle Edition)

Clint Hopkins

Bruner with Holdsworth (Dan Quayle Edition)

Postby Clint Hopkins » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:26 pm

Holdsworth, Johnson and Bruner @ The Baked Potato(e)- Fred

Jim Richman

Re: Bruner with Holdsworth (Dan Quayle Edition)

Postby Jim Richman » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:52 pm

Sounds like a train wreck.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:24 pm

I like that he stuck to the form, nailed the tune as a whole. I'm just not a fan of the constant singles. Good for him he got that gig. Good energy.

Singles don't flow. Even when the best singles guy turn them on. Coleman, Bruner, Dennis, the speed demons. I just don't like how it sounds. It's impressive in the same way that lifting something very heavy is impressive.

I'm glad Ron is able to keep working and stay on the scene.
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:42 pm

Ron is one of my fav gospely type drummers, along with Coleman; but they aren't really that gospely, which is probably why I like them a lot. I love how he just goes for it. The Vinnie in his playing is very obvious, but I think he really embraces the concept of aggressive fearlessness. And he comes up with completely new, out of this world stuff all the time. And he does all this completely in the moment, none of it feels canned or premeditated.
willyz

Postby willyz » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:16 pm

I hate the china cymbal. It's great to see AH smile a bit while he plays. Ron has got some stuff going on and is a lot tamer in older clips that I've seen- clearly he's doing something right to be playing a gig like this...

...but nobody (not even Vinnie- GASP!) and ever touch Tony when it comes to Lifetime material. The stuff that's on record will get the best of me every time I listen to it.
Got Blushda?
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:50 pm

not sure why there's negativity towards this.

He called the tune and played through it, done. That's a hard song to nail, even if you're amazing. I'm not familiar with the guy at all, but here's what I liked about the youtube clip (which shouldn't be the basis for anything reallly, but that's OT):

he went for it and was pretty fearless about it.

you could tell he likes the song a lot.

it raised the eyebrows of Allan Holdsworth. He needs this sometimes.

his singles were clean and powerful when he played them, imo.

did it groove well, I dunno; I need more than laptop speakers to judge that.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:52 pm

I prefer Gary Husband with Allan, but I'd also like to see Tommy Campbell in that chair someday. Bruner's a great drummer, but I like a more graceful approach, whereas his is much more bombastic. Still, I like it better than Kirk Covington's stint with Allan.

What's up with Bruner's ride cymbal? Is that a man-hole cover?

matthughen

Postby matthughen » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:09 pm

Basically, I am a Bruner fan. He certainly was competent and executed some frightening stuff. But, as a bigger Tony fan its impossible for me to hear this material and not draw some comparison. Tony would have a great dynamic range, air and breath too. RB 's performance was a thing of power and accomplishment. When its Tony (and some others) it is a thing of beauty.
robertopeland

Postby robertopeland » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:23 am

I'm sorry guys,
but he's totally out of context.
He plays only for him and has no respect for the music and for a genius like Allan Holdsworth.
He lacks musicality and he plays like if there's always a challenge to embrace...
Look at the beginning of the tune, he plays so much that he made a mistake that only young kids do...
No one ever did this mistake with Allan, and I saw AH something like 15 times...
No respect guys, no respect...
Anyway,
This video below represents to me the real "cover" played by real musicians that knows how to play music and not only their own instrument...
This is how the music sounds...
Sports are for the Olympic Games...
Leave it there...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CexN3C5a ... re=related

I'm sorry

BOB
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:16 am

^^What? I couldn't get through the Chad clip due to boredom. Ron's playing is more aggressive, more exciting, he uses dynamics with respect to the tune, but brings it to a great level with his enthusiasm. I think you're a bit harsh there Robert.

Also, "No one ever did this mistake with Allan"...??

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree.

Return to “Drumming Chat”