Bruner with Holdsworth (Dan Quayle Edition)

robertopeland

Re: Bruner with Holdsworth (Dan Quayle Edition)

Postby robertopeland » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:35 am

Hi Steve,
maybe I'm a bit harsh here, but in all respect I really think that Ron's playing is so unmusical...
But you're right, maybe I should say: "No one ever did this KIND of error with Allan..." if you know what I mean.
The kind of error that you do when you're so young... but really young... and he's not an "up and coming" anymore.
I like aggressive playing too, but for me the tune is totally destroyed by Bruner here...
Maybe I just can't get too through Chad's drumming in that video, but I'm able to understand the tune and I can listen clearly to it.
I'm sorry, but this is what I think and what I feel when I see Ron Bruner playing.
Anyway,
just to make an example, this is the aggressive (no comparison please...) playing that I like and that makes sense for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmYYvgBj ... 763F62F910

Guys,
I'm glad and thankful that I can write my opinions even if they're so strange.
Bug hugs

BOB
langmick

Postby langmick » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:48 am

Wow, Dennis is the shit. That rocked like mad!

Ron Bruner is really fast.
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:28 am

This is what I love about HOD: varied opinions on what people like and dislike about a particular artist, listening habits, etc.

I love Allan's music and really enjoy hearing how the variety of drummers he has playing with him, treat his music. I too, prefer to hear GH's playing to anyone else's. The 'conversation' always seems just right. In regards to Bruner, he's a monster player but seems to 'hover' over the music a lot with minimal interaction with the other guys. It
seems he treats the music like it exists to serve him rather than the other way around. I feel the same about his playing with Michael Landau.
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:59 am

Ron's pretty enthusiastic and bombastic in this clip and kind of hits me like a gig "terrorist" in this clip. You know, like the really flashy, young punk, aggressive player that sits in with your band, beats the shit out of your cymbals, and showboats the tune for the onlookers in the crowd.
I think it's a taste thing and a vibe thing when comparing Chad at Yoshis to Ron at the BP.
Chad has a lot of intense, mellow vibe. Same with all the musicians in the Yoshis clip.
If I'd been in the audience for Rons performance, I'm sure I would have been smiling, laughing, and digging it, but I've watched that Yoshis DVD quite alot and am a big fan of Wackerman. Chad gets my vote for musical, unassuming BURN.
D.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:17 am

this is good, but it's too 'soft'. Especially the intro. And Chad's great, but he plays this song way too straight or up/down. He needs to listen to James Brown for about 2 years to loosen up.

I have to agree with Steve, first clip more exciting.

There's a danger with holding such things on high pedestals that we're afraid to chip away at them once in a while. OT: that's why jazz nazis are so close minded, the hold tradition to such a high standard, that they're afraid to break from that tradition to open up to something new.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:16 am

About Bruner video:

I liked the groove parts a lot.
I didn´t like the explosive fills at all.

I would apply my comment above for Bruner playing in general.
Yussuf

Postby Yussuf » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:26 am

That sure was loud and fast.
langmick

Postby langmick » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:38 am

And the hands of God playing this tune. An intellectual approach to drumming...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEfNSjQcbLU&feature=player_detailpage#t=1006s
Yussuf

Postby Yussuf » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:15 am

Now it gets completely offtopic, but check out this clip with Novak. That's how you get away by playing a lot of notes. Quite beautiful actually. I love what Gary H. does with Allan but for me this was Holdsworths finest band so far.

Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:19 am

Deleted my post.

Ron is a beast. I need to practice.

I'll leave it at that.

Return to “Drumming Chat”