THIS is the drummer I would want to see on tour with Allan

Manu

THIS is the drummer I would want to see on tour with Allan

Postby Manu » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:04 am

:)
DSOP

Re: THIS is the drummer I would want to see on tour with All

Postby DSOP » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:40 pm

Yikes... Gergo is really growing fast! Really has his own thing happening.

But if we're going to create a wish list for drummers to accompany Allan Holdsworth... I would like to nominate Alex Acuña and Tommy Campbell. And Bill Stewart. I think each of those guys would bring something different out of Allan.
Manu

Postby Manu » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:50 pm

DSOP wrote:Yikes... Gergo is really growing fast! Really has his own thing happening.

But if we're going to create a wish list for drummers to accompany Allan Holdsworth... I would like to nominate Alex Acuña and Tommy Campbell. And Bill Stewart. I think each of those guys would bring something different out of Allan.

I think Gergo is really into Holdsworth, I am sure he'd love that gig, and he'd certainly kill it.

Your other choices it's true would bring something different out of Allan but the question is do we want something different? I personally might be just fine with the good old style :)
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:57 pm

Manu wrote:the question is do we want something different? I personally might be just fine with the good old style :)

I haven't been into Holdsworth's approach as far as composition since SAND or SECRETS. I think he may need a kick in the ass to come back down to earth. :)
Manu

Postby Manu » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:02 pm

Oh come on DSOP what about the sixteen men of tain ? that was badass too ;)
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:09 pm

I didn't like that one at all. Gave it away after buying it. My favorite is still I.O.U. Hell, I even prefer Velvet Darkness to 16 Men! ;)

It's actually been a long time since he released a record, hasn't it? I'm looking forward to Gary Husband's new record. Some great stuff with Allan apparently.
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:11 pm

SMOT or Wardenclyffe Tower(?) The only Holdsworth I didn't care for was 'None Too Soon'. Probably had more to do with Gordon Beck's keyboard playing and Kirk Covington though, more than anything.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:20 pm

Every one of his records has some brilliance on it, but I still hark back to I.O.U., Sand, Road Games, Metal Fatigue, and Secrets. But then again, I may have just overdosed on his stuff.
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:26 pm

DSOP wrote:Every one of his records has some brilliance on it, but I still hark back to I.O.U., Sand, Road Games, Metal Fatigue, and Secrets. But then again, I may have just overdosed on his stuff. I definitely did not enjoy Kirk Convington's playing on anything. Can't pinpoint why exactly.

I.O.U., Metal Fatigue and Secrets are my main three. I've been heavy into 'Hard Hat Area' lately. What's Skúli Sverrisson doing these days?
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:41 pm

I forgot about Hard Hat Area. That has some great stuff on it too.

Return to “Drumming Chat”