If you are in or around NC this weekend:

Snowdogyyz

If you are in or around NC this weekend:

Postby Snowdogyyz » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:05 pm

If you are in NC (or close by), don't forget about the Festival this weekend (Nov 20 and 21). John McLaughlin and the 4th Dimension, Jimmy Herring Band (Jeff Sipe on drums), Lenny White's band (Jimmy Herring on guitar), Wayne Krantz, Alex Machacek, etc, etc. It's going to be a great weekend! Lincoln Theater in Raleigh, NC.

http://www.abstractlogix.com/festival2010/
gretsch-o-rama

Re: If you are in or around NC this weekend:

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:22 pm

I'll be there! Coming down with some friends and possibly my girlfriend. I told her I'd buy her ticket. Hey, at least it's only a ten hour drive for me!:)
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Snowdogyyz

Postby Snowdogyyz » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:57 pm

Cool! Should be fun. As a side note, the Yammies that Mark Mondesir will be playing with John McLaughlin are mine. They sounded great last time he used them!
Ghostnoter

Postby Ghostnoter » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:54 pm

Snow,

You're Yamaha's did sound great the last time out. I couldn't make it this weekend. I heard the fest was going to be videotaped...if so, I will definitely get a copy.
How was it? A small recap is in order?

Thx,

Ghostnoter
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:56 pm

I attended Saturday night only. I might get flamed for this because I know this forum but Jeff Sipe may very well be the best drummer out there right now. Big statement I know but I saw Vinnie for the first time this year and I have to say that they are on the same level but at the same time there was no touching jeff's performance Saturday in my eyes. Ranjit was great too but Human Element seemed a little unrehearsed and relied heavily on the individual players virtuosity which really wasn't a problem. And besides, they turned my girlfriend on. :) Alex Machacek was at the bar after the performance but I didn't have the courage to go up to him as I'm not really experienced with meeting my heroes, drummers or not. This was the best show I have ever seen. It was worth every hour of the 20 hour round trip and I would have paid double.:) My only regret is I couldn't stay for Sunday night but there was a lot of talk about the DVD which I hope comes out soon. This was truly an event and i feel bad for any fusion-jazz fan that wasn't there! Peace
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Snowdogyyz

Postby Snowdogyyz » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:07 am

Here is a link to some pics I took over the weekend:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2096486&id=1326437975&saved#!/album.php?aid=2096486&id=1326437975

It was an amazing time. Jeff Sipe is truly incredible and one who more people need to see and hear. I tell you though.... it was tough to beat the display put on by the 4th Dimension on Sunday night. Mark Mondesir and Gary were amazing! I still don't understand how one guy can be uber-talanted at the drums AND the keyboards! Gary was truly a pleasure to chat to (although briefly as he had to prep the guys for the McLaughling tribute). The show was filmed in HD and I believe a dvd is the plan thus far. If it comes out, I HIGHLY recommend it. Lenny's band was awesome as well with a 2 guitar line-up (including Jimmy Herring) that just tore it up.

Gretsch- you should have approached Alex. He's a great guy and easily approachable.

Ghost- the kit sounded better this weekend as the room at the Lincoln sounds much better than the place in Durham. Mark was even better than last time... he is a monster back there!
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:37 pm

Snowdogyyz wrote: Jeff Sipe is truly incredible and one who more people need to see and hear.

Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:10 pm

I love this solo...restrained, sensible, knows his audience, musical...
didn't have to throw in the kitchen sink...lots of breathing room

Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com

Return to “Drumming Chat”