John McLaughlin and 4th Dimension show review

Tombo 7/4

John McLaughlin and 4th Dimension show review

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:30 pm

I caught John McLaughlin and 4th Dimension: Marc Mondésir on drums, Gary Husband on drums/keys and Étienne M’Bappe on bass (how can he play with gloves?!?). Excellent show!

But THE question is: How can a guy play keys AND drums at this level. It's not like Gary is a great drummer who happens to play some keys and is asked to lay pads once in a while.
He is a top jazz/fusion keyboardist/pianist. Extrememely strong harmonically and rythmically and super creative with sounds on his 3 keyboards+computer.
I went to the show with a keyboardist friend of mine who was amazed at Gary's keys playing. He couldn't believe he was a drummer first (or is he?).

Has John McL ever composed something in 4? It's all odd: 5, 6, 7, 9, 13, 15, 19,...
Keeping one's place in these tunes is an accomplishment in itself, be it on drums or keys. But improvising and being creative with time and harmony is out of this world.
I think the only tune in 4 was a Gary composition that got heads bopping for a short while.

In a tune, Marc and Gary were trading 4s in 5 for a good 8-10 minutes over a guit/bass vamp. Just geniuses with time.

At one point Marc seemed to have a problem with his BD pedal, so Gary left the keys to get to his drumset so Marc could fix the problem. You should always have a "spare" drummer on a gig! ;)

I stronly recommend you go see them.
Clint Hopkins

Re: John McLaughlin and 4th Dimension show review

Postby Clint Hopkins » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:20 am

Tombo 7/4 wrote:I caught John McLaughlin and 4th Dimension: Marc Mondésir on drums, Gary Husband on drums/keys and Étienne M’Bappe on bass (how can he play with gloves?!?). Excellent show!

But THE question is: How can a guy play keys AND drums at this level. It's not like Gary is a great drummer who happens to play some keys and is asked to lay pads once in a while.
He is a top jazz/fusion keyboardist/pianist. Extrememely strong harmonically and rythmically and super creative with sounds on his 3 keyboards+computer.
I went to the show with a keyboardist friend of mine who was amazed at Gary's keys playing. He couldn't believe he was a drummer first (or is he?).

Has John McL ever composed something in 4? It's all odd: 5, 6, 7, 9, 13, 15, 19,...
Keeping one's place in these tunes is an accomplishment in itself, be it on drums or keys. But improvising and being creative with time and harmony is out of this world.
I think the only tune in 4 was a Gary composition that got heads bopping for a short while.

In a tune, Marc and Gary were trading 4s in 5 for a good 8-10 minutes over a guit/bass vamp. Just geniuses with time.

At one point Marc seemed to have a problem with his BD pedal, so Gary left the keys to get to his drumset so Marc could fix the problem. You should always have a "spare" drummer on a gig! ;)

I stronly recommend you go see them.

I saw them in Atlanta and I'm still processing the experience. I couldn't agree more with you, Tombo. I've been a long time fan of Gary's drumming and keyboard playing, but to see/hear in person was almost surreal. My favorite concert experience to date due to seeing one of my drumming/musical heroes doing what he clearly loves to do in the company of a stellar crew of bandmates.

Something that really "struck a chord" with me was how generous McLaughlin was during the entire performance. Often, he would stand aside and vamp while featuring the whole band. Maybe this is not unique to a John McLaughlin show but I was very impressed with that thoughtful gesture.

I picked up Gary's new CD 'Dirty & Beautiful Vol. 1'. I just started listening to it and I'm still picking up my jaw after the first track, a Holdsworth tune called "Leave 'Em On". Go check it out.
Snowdogyyz

Postby Snowdogyyz » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:55 am

Hey guys. I've posted some pics from the event in another thread. Check them out! By the way, Gary is a really, really down to earth, nice guy as well. I enjoyed chatting with him at the event. A TRUE professional.
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:25 am

Thanks Tombo! My brother was at that same show... He was blown away as well, to say the least.. BTW.. If you have time, pls also share a review of the MTL Drum Fest !! ;)

Something that really "struck a chord" with me was how generous McLaughlin was during the entire performance. Often, he would stand aside and vamp while featuring the whole band. Maybe this is not unique to a John McLaughlin show but I was very impressed with that thoughtful gesture.

I had noticed the same when John did the "Free Spirits" Tour back in the 90s...
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:28 am

Snowdogyyz wrote:Hey guys. I've posted some pics from the event in another thread. Check them out! By the way, Gary is a really, really down to earth, nice guy as well. I enjoyed chatting with him at the event. A TRUE professional.

Great! Which thread? Title or link? Pls and Thks!!
Don Worth

Postby Don Worth » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:22 am

I will be seeing them Dec 7th in Portland, looking forward to the show. :D
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:24 am

Thanks for the review. I'm taking my son to see them on Dec. 11th in Berkeley! I think the last time they were in the area was 2007. Looking forward to it - To The One is a great CD.
Snowdogyyz

Postby Snowdogyyz » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:04 pm

By the way, Zakir Hussain made an appearance with the 4th Dimension in Raleigh. I swear that man has 400 fingers! The stuff he was doing on those percussion instruments was insane!
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:43 pm

Snowdogyyz wrote: By the way, Gary is a really, really down to earth, nice guy as well. I enjoyed chatting with him at the event. A TRUE professional.

Yeah Gary is a real nice guy. I waited a bit for the band to come sign autographs and chat but I had to leave, dunno if they came.
But I talked and had a pic with Gary last year when he came with Allan Holdsworth. Very warm person. I remember he was a bit upset because the kit provided by the local music store was a Pearl Vision (beginner/entry level set).
Looks like they couldn't find a decent Pearl this year too because he had (I think) a Yamaha with duct tape on the kick head to hide the logo.

Funny I found their rider:
http://www.basitours.com/rider_john_mclaughlin_and_the_4th_dimension
"NO BEHRINGER !!!!!" :lol:

Return to “Drumming Chat”