What heads are you currently using?

willyz

What heads are you currently using?

Postby willyz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:24 am

I'm wanting to change things up a bit, and am looking for suggestions.

I currently use coated Ambassadors on the tops of all drums (Kick included) and clear Ambassadors on the bottoms (hazy on snare, coated Ambassador as the kick reso). I'm pretty happy with the kick sound, as I use a rolled up towel held together with some duct sitting inside the drum against the batter head... other than that it's an empty kick that I get a Bonham/Carlcok vibe going on.

I think with the rest of the kit I'm hearing a slightly drier attack, but with more tone... if that make sense. I've been curious about trying the Jack D heads from Aquarian, but nobody ever has them in stock...

Drums are Tama Starclassic Birch, w/ die-cast rims. Maybe getting some different rims (S Hoops?) would help? Any suggestions?
Got Blushda?
Jeremy Smirnoff

Re: What heads are you currently using?

Postby Jeremy Smirnoff » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:39 am

After moving away from Remo Pinstripes on toms I am very happily using the Evans EC2 batter and EC resonant. For the kick, I use the EMAD Clear... As for the snare, I still use the Remo CS coated with a black dot on the bottom.
Jeremy Smirnoff
drums, percussion
http://www.facebook.com/jeremy.smirnoff
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:08 am

I'm using coated G2's and coated emad on the kick. Coated G1 on the snare. The g2's are about 2 years old and hardly have a mark on them.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
shuby

Postby shuby » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:41 am

ec2 clear & reson. - toms; emad bd; power center reverse dot-snare
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:51 am

willyz wrote:Drums are Tama Starclassic Birch, w/ die-cast rims. Maybe getting some different rims (S Hoops?) would help? Any suggestions?

I think you're outta luck on that one. Tama uses proprietary mounting on their (IMO) stupid ultra heavy rims. You'd have to use a RIMS or other type mounting to change the rims out. If so I'd go with some sort of flanged or yamaha's aluminum rims - whichever is lightest/budget friendly. Definitely ditch the die-cast on the bottoms though, there's just zero reason to use diecast on the bottom, unless you just like having heavy (and therefore dampened) drums.
You could put YESS mounts on them.... oooooh...

Depends on the gig/sound I'm after for sure. For coated heads I've been using the Remo Vintage Amb's since they came out - love them, super awesome heads, have a really wide tuning range too.

For clear heads I'm digging on the Evans G-Plus right now, always wanted a thicker single ply to try. Really cool heads, not the biggest tuning range but I like them more then 2 ply clear heads.

Pretty much use Remo Clear Ambs on the bottoms of all the drums, been that way for years and years. I've tried other brands and thinner heads (like Dips) but always have come back to the clear Amb's on the bottoms.

I exclusively use Remo Coated Amb's on all my snare drums. Tried pretty much everything else, and well they just are the best flat out IMO.
Remo Amb snare side on the bottom as well all the time. I have a pretty decent snare collection and have they just are the best, across the board no matter what snare. I have CS Dots and a few other "specialty" heads I can use as well if needed.

For the kicks, depends on the kick and the sound. But generally speaking Remo Clear Emp, and the front head gets changed depending on appearance needed - though I believe, even the printed heads, are all Remo Smooth Ambs or Ebony's.
I use 18,22,24 and 26" kick drums of varying woods and depths. Dampening wise I use a nothing, a felt strip or small pillow.

Birch drums are pretty dark and punchy, so I think I'd go for more lively/bright heads to try and balance it out. But then again, it's just hard to beat the Coated Amb over Clear Amb combo.

I tried Aquarian heads back in the day and was really disappointed in them. Maybe they have changed in recent times though? When in doubt, buy a 14" head of various kinds to try - if you don't like it, then at least you have a spare snare head.
Remo's FiberSkyn's are similar, very cool head, just limited in applications.
willyz

Postby willyz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:04 am

YamahaPlayer wrote:
willyz wrote:Drums are Tama Starclassic Birch, w/ die-cast rims. Maybe getting some different rims (S Hoops?) would help? Any suggestions?

I think you're outta luck on that one. Tama uses proprietary mounting on their (IMO) stupid ultra heavy rims. You'd have to use a RIMS or other type mounting to change the rims out. If so I'd go with some sort of flanged or yamaha's aluminum rims - whichever is lightest/budget friendly. Definitely ditch the die-cast on the bottoms though, there's just zero reason to use diecast on the bottom, unless you just like having heavy (and therefore dampened) drums.
You could put YESS mounts on them.... oooooh...

Yeah I removed the legs/mounts on my 14x14 floor and installed a RIMS hanging tom mount and I'm much happier with the sound- through I mainly switched out of convenience of positioning. I don't really have the scratch to switch the starcast mounts over to RIMS and then get different hoops... though I may try changing the bottom ones to something lighter...
Got Blushda?
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:28 am

willyz wrote:Yeah I removed the legs/mounts on my 14x14 floor and installed a RIMS hanging tom mount and I'm much happier with the sound- through I mainly switched out of convenience of positioning. I don't really have the scratch to switch the starcast mounts over to RIMS and then get different hoops... though I may try changing the bottom ones to something lighter...

That's a pretty common story. I think they make some really good shells, just never understood why they use the silliest mounting design.

drummaker.com seems to have about the cheapest prices on rims/mounts/hardware for future reference.

Why do does our instrument have to cost so much..!!! Grrrrr
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:40 am

willyz wrote:I'm wanting to change things up a bit, and am looking for suggestions.

What sizes (diameter) are your drums?
willyz

Postby willyz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:59 am

10x8, 14x14, 22x18. Standard 14x5.5 snare.

I've got a 12x9 and a 16x16, but only bust those out every now and then..
Got Blushda?
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:04 am

Darn..

I was hoping for like 13.87" and 7.6" and 15.476" haha but no really... kinda silly question.

Return to “Drumming Chat”