deseipel

Re: Official Dirty Loops thread!

Postby deseipel » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:09 pm

+1

well said.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:09 am

deseipel wrote:... There's nothing wrong with backing tracks, it's a newer tool in performance. Top acts use backing tracks, so does it make what they do less legitimate? I say no. I've played to backing tracks on a bar gig and it really helps the production value....

I know that the backing tracks are tools, but If they reach a X percentage in a live situation, I feel dissapointed, specialy if those backing tracks are for real instruments: voices, drums, keys...or bass.
Then, for me, the live situation becomes just a situation.
For that reason I said that they needed 1-2 more members, for playing their tunes at the same level (or higher) than their recorded material.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:36 pm

I seriously doubt that they have the finances to hire backup singers and another keyboard player. And although I don't know what the new album sounds like, I doubt their fans will give two shits if they use backing tracks or not; so I'm unsure what's to be disappointed about.

I'm curious how you feel about JoJo's clinic performances with backing tracks, are those disappointing too? Granted, the context is different.
Henrik

Postby Henrik » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:18 am

DSOP wrote:If you're right, I apologize. And yes, you're right that I don't actually know what went on there, so best not comment. I have a pretty good ear for that sort of thing though, and I find it hard to believe that it was a live recording. If it really was, then he could possibly be the most talented singer I've ever heard. The control of pitch in some of those runs is crazy accurate.

Hey man, no need to apologize, very nice gesture of you, though! I don't doubt your ears on judging this kind of thing, and I know how easy it is to assume stuff like that in this day and age, but Jonah really has that kind of pitch control, especially in the controlled environment of a studio where he can hear himself properly. He is one the most talented singers I've ever heard, for sure. That said, "Baby" was certainly not a live recording in the sense of "everyone in the room playing at the same time"; all the parts were done individually, but the vocals were not messed with pitchwise.

Juan Expósito wrote:I know that the backing tracks are tools, but If they reach a X percentage in a live situation, I feel dissapointed

I know what you're saying, but when it comes to this band; first off, they haven't really played a lot live as "Dirty Loops", but when they have I'd say that the song from that sound check clip is certainly the most backing track-heavy by far. Mostly it's just them, and I'm willing to bet that you would think it was an amazing experience to see them live, from a pure performance standpoint. Of course, I'm obviously biased.

It feels like I've become HOD's official Dirty Loops apologist/fanboy (sort of like Morgenthaler with Virgil :P ), but hey, that's a position I'm willing to assume!
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:41 am

DSOP wrote:I've been saying it for years: Rather than waste time playing shitty clubs where you can't guarantee good sound, just record a bunch of great sounding videos of your band and put them on YouTube. If it's really good, it will catch on. If it isn't, you'll know that it doesn't have wings and that you need to try something else.

Once something catches on with YouTube, it takes off very quickly and leads to generally good things for the artist.

There is still something to be said for learning how to play an entire show in front of humans though. That is a skill that cannot be learned any other way.

You forgot rule #1 though >>>

• thou shall play a cover of a Justin Bieber/Lady Gaga song
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:31 am

Henrik wrote:It feels like I've become HOD's official Dirty Loops apologist/fanboy (sort of like Morgenthaler with Virgil :P ), but hey, that's a position I'm willing to assume!

HAHAHA, ditto!
BTW I'm right behind you supporting Dirty Loops.
I enjoy live in the studio Daniel Lanois-stuff as much as tight pocket plus pre-recorded background vocals+
video editing Dirty Loops stuff and for that matter pure electronica like Boards of Canada or Siriusmo,
as well as music based on samples, like The Young Gods. If it works, I'm there.

And well, you've got to support those who strive to push boundaries. Dirty Loops and Virgil are
no-brainers in that department ;)
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:36 am

amoergosum wrote:You forgot rule #1 though >>>

• thou shall play a cover of a Justin Bieber/Lady Gaga song

That's not far from the truth. By covering a song that is high in the current charts, you are guaranteed many hits just from search engines. Another thing you can do is tag your video with phrases like "Megan Fox nude" or "Lyndsay Lohan sex video".

Van Halen's first hit was a cover of The Kink's 'You Really Got Me'. The Beatles started off with covers. It's a great way to get noticed, especially if you do something interesting with the song.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:43 am

Dirty Loops YouTube channel >>>

#1 Justin Bieber cover >>> 1.357.475 views
#2 Lady Gaga cover >>> 433.597 views
#3 Britney Spears cover >>> 424.939 views
Derek DeFields

Postby Derek DeFields » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:54 pm

Looks like you can download their tracks from the site for free? (down arrow icon to the right of each track)

http://www.dirty-loops.com/music.html
sturla

Postby sturla » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:57 pm

I just spotted a picture on Facebook when Dirty Loops were invited to Simon Phillips studio in LA.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/Phillips.Saisse.Palladino

Return to “Drumming Chat”