Another traditional grip question.

Josiah

Re: Another traditional grip question.

Postby Josiah » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:20 pm

Vinnie had shoulder surgery a little while back.. was it from Trad, or cymbal heights, or just the sheer volume of playing?

Most of the guys I've met that play Trad (Virg, Vinnie, etc) have some gnarly left hands. But who cares? Whatever minor issues arise from playing that style certainly trumps the gains. Those guys also practice, HARD, DAILY.

Do you practice every day? 20 mins? 30 mins? 1 hour? 2 hours? Twice a day? What is your commitment level?

Video yourself, mark your gains against yourself. Not the masters, progress will always seem like nothing compared to monsters like that. Take where you are, set a goal, in 30 days I want to be 6 bpm faster to the click on these exercises... or whatever is relevant to YOU. You need daily reinforcement, short, medium and long term goals. A way to mark improvement. Your memory does not work. Get a mirror, get a camera, get a tape recorder. See where you are now, make some different goals then work to smash them.
But you have to work hard. Really hard. Mentally. Physically.

I think in a lot of ways drum set players are vag's when it comes to practice. 10 a day's (10 hours a day), is the norm for marching in the summer. Plus what those guys put in after field practice. 5 hours a day of playing is normal for local high school lines during normal school days.
This is true for ALL sports. Highschool, college (even more) and pro which is even more time! A life style of commitment to your skill.

If you want to have hands at that level, then go get them. There's nothing stopping you. No magic secret. Quality Time In - Quality Time Out.

Playing trad you have to do almost twice as much work, two hands, two very different grips. That's a conscious choice you have to make to devote that extra time into it. It doesn't matter too much though, because if you want it, you will get it. You CAN play at that level. If you want...

"If you're not sweating after 15 minutes, you're not practicing." - Bone
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:20 pm

Josiah wrote:Vinnie had shoulder surgery a little while back.. was it from Trad, or cymbal heights, or just the sheer volume of playing?

Why do you just make shit up like that? What the fuck is wrong with you?
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:34 pm

DSOP wrote:
Josiah wrote:Vinnie had shoulder surgery a little while back.. was it from Trad, or cymbal heights, or just the sheer volume of playing?

Why do you just make shit up like that? What the fuck is wrong with you?

I like this post! lol
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
matthughen

Postby matthughen » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:51 pm

As long as your hand looks something like this, you should be fine!

:mrgreen:
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:27 pm

DSOP wrote:Why do you just make shit up like that? What the fuck is wrong with you?

Oh I am so sorry your holyness!!

It was Weckl that had shoulder surgery, 2 of them. Vinnie busted his ankle. Excuse me for having a life and not keeping every detail of every drummer's medical history for exact recall.

Instead of simply correcting my mistake, you go out of your way to just be a complete asshole about things. Well your reputation proceeds you with ease Paul.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:57 pm

Josiah wrote:your reputation proceeds you with ease Paul.

You should be more concerned with your reputation. Such a useless fucking dweeb.
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:28 pm

Morgenthaler wrote:Practice. (ok, lame answer, Jeppe)

This must be the 10th time I link to this video when the subject is trad grip,
but it does (from 1:28 to 2:20) showcase the meanest, most powerful trad grip left hand out there.
Some good close ups too for inspiration and guidance.

I saw Virgil in a master class a few years ago. He said that he plays traditional because that's what he was taught. But, if he had it to do over again, he'd play matched. [Runs for cover].
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:40 pm

Henry II wrote:

but it does (from 1:28 to 2:20) showcase the meanest, most powerful trad grip left hand out there.

I saw Virgil in a master class a few years ago. He said that he plays traditional because that's what he was taught. But, if he had it to do over again, he'd play matched. [Runs for cover].

That's true. I can verify that, so no need to run for cover ;)
(but that's kind of a different discussion altogether)
David Bouet

Postby David Bouet » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:29 am

Josiah,
Your contribution on this forum has been extremely negative and I believe more great players would share their knowledge and experience if it wasn't for people like you.
You have shown complete disrespect to other members in recent posts including a legendary musicians and a top industry executive.
It's now the second time you falsely suggest Vinnie had shoulder surgery.
This sort of BS is unacceptable and your response to Paul makes things worse.
Think about it mate, you make false claims about the health of the most influential drummer on this forum and instead of an apology you respond with more arrogance.
Good luck with the hole you're digging mate.
like most of the average drummers on this forum, you should show more respect and be grateful for the true knowledge that some members are sharing with us here.
David
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:55 am

Not a trad grip question, but I've been working on snare drum stuff a whole lot lately. Next thing I need to work on are rudimental flam combinations, like the ones from 1:36 to 1:46 in this clip. Any suggestions for written material, YouTube examples, etc.?

Return to “Drumming Chat”