Steve Ferrone

MRhet

Re: Steve Ferrone

Postby MRhet » Sun May 06, 2012 10:51 am

MRhet wrote:
kaide wrote:I'm a really big Ferrone fan and really excited to finally see him live with Tom Petty at Royal Albert Hall, also my first trip to London. If I had to descripe what is "funky pocket playing" I would tell everybody to listen some Ferrone stuff :)

I'll get to see him soon with Tom Petty. I'm looking forward to it. I have to admit I was a big Stan Lynch fan with the band, but Steve is awfully good, so I know the show will be great.

Got to see him last week -- good show. Steve played really well. Not fancy -- but played perfectly for the music. Sound system was very good (Mike Campbell just killed).
mer7canbilgin

Postby mer7canbilgin » Tue May 08, 2012 12:51 pm

circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Tue May 08, 2012 2:53 pm

Something seems not right on that Mary Jane's Last Dance. Tempo maybe? As much as he is a groove monster, it seems like the crowd wants to feel it and dance, but they cant. I think it should be about 5-10 bpm faster. Its solid, no doubt, but not the best they could do in my opinion.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Tue May 08, 2012 3:06 pm

Man, that clip is just perfect to me, I don't know that song though.

But don't judge by the reaction of the audience, when you see that kind of show during the day, you can be sure that at night it gonna be some REAL heavy weight on stage, the crowd has to keep some energy for the whole day under the sun, if they want to see the show at night... :D
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Tue May 08, 2012 3:39 pm

I have never much cared for Tom Petty's music or voice, but I still prefer it to a lot of other stuff. The tempo sounds/feels perfect to me. If anything, I'd have slowed it down one or two notches. But that's just me.
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Tue May 08, 2012 4:08 pm

I saw Petty on the Wildflowers tour in the mid-90's. Might have been Ferrone's first tour with them. Seemed to have a bit more edge. I agree with Rodge that the crowd at a festival like this might not be a good barometer. My problem might lie with acts that regularly play big stages like this. 6 years ago I saw Bon Jovi at Giants Stadium. I had seen them before, but many years earlier. Tico Torres seemed too relaxed playing in front of 65,000 screaming fans. It was just another day at the office. Maybe I just want a little bit of heat behind it. I cant imagine him having all this nervous energy backstage before walking out in front of that large of a group for the 300th time.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Tue May 08, 2012 7:19 pm

The feel is not happening to me neither (especially near the end of the song)... We´re are talking about A+ players, but there´s no magic in that clip to me...
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Tue May 08, 2012 8:42 pm

I first learned about Steve Ferrone from a Brian Auger "best of" compilation album. There was a really wild version of "Freedom Jazz Dance" on it. I still have it, but, I haven't listened to it in decades. Here's one of the tunes that Ferrone played on, "Straight Ahead."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnwVwjInhHQ
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
MRhet

Postby MRhet » Wed May 09, 2012 5:33 am

Julián Fernández wrote:The feel is not happening to me neither (especially near the end of the song)... We´re are talking about A+ players, but there´s no magic in that clip to me...

Well, as I said above -- saw them last week and I thought there was plenty of fire. Frankly I miss Stan Lynch on the thrown -- he's a wilder guy. But Steve is an awfully good drummer and he kept things going strong. And the other guys were strong and in the moment.
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Wed May 09, 2012 6:17 am

DSOP wrote:I have never much cared for Tom Petty's music or voice, but I still prefer it to a lot of other stuff. The tempo sounds/feels perfect to me. If anything, I'd have slowed it down one or two notches. But that's just me.

I was thinking the same thing. I thought the groove was there, but, there was that "live" tempo thing going on.
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III

Return to “Drumming Chat”