Gary Husband playing in the studio - iDrum Magazine

sturla

Gary Husband playing in the studio - iDrum Magazine

Postby sturla » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:52 am

Hey guys!

Check out this interview and great playing by Gary Husband, playing along to 3 of his own tracks from Dirty And Beautiful Vol.2.
He is so amazing on this and I am just in awe how intuitive and fresh he sounds. Quite hard tracks to play to it seems, and he just nails it and is so creative in his own energetic and dynamic way of playing.

http://magazine2.idrummag.com/idrum-issue-10-ray-luzier-drum-magazine/issue10/page/1

I absolutely loved this and just HAD to share this.
willyz

Re: Gary Husband playing in the studio - iDrum Magazine

Postby willyz » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:31 pm

I love when guys like Gary get asked not a dumb question, per say, but for example when he was asked about odd-times and stuff and he's able to develop and explain himself in a kind of no-brainer sort of mannor. It's clear that he's able to feel his way through everything.

Great playing and great sound, Gary (reminded me of a Tony meets Simon Philips sort of thing)! What ride was that? Looks like a really thin prototype...
Got Blushda?
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:42 pm

I watched the first video, I liked it. Different ideas, well executed. You can really tell Gary loves the blusha...
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:29 pm

The Idrum mag is cool. just don't dig all of the advertising. It's to much. i just hit the next page button. i glance for 2 to 5 seconds then move on until i get to the interviews. love how they showed Gary playing three tunes in a studio setting. so captivating in those situations. also love how he takes a entire bottle of water in before the tune starts. nice! Raw player. i miss that in players these days. Monster player in my book. like how he thinks while he plays. this is a gem of a video for gary fans! the equipment part is a nice touch. love how he doesn't know what the ride "name" is but sure loves how it sounds. the fast crash in front of him. he said it's an old 70's or 80's crash. it's still not CRACKED the way he plays?! The 24 inch swish or what ever you want to call it cymbal. he's a guy you want to sit down with and talk music.
percusski

Postby percusski » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:28 pm

Yeah enjoyed that, nice interview and playing...that McLaughlin track does seem to be a sumbitch lol
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:37 pm

Kurtis wrote:The Idrum mag is cool. just don't dig all of the advertising. It's to much. i just hit the next page button. i glance for 2 to 5 seconds then move on until i get to the interviews.

I hear ya but unfortunately that's the way they still manage to remain free of charge... "New blues..." is just sick! Tried to count but Gary lost me right at the start :D
Manu

Postby Manu » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:34 pm

Gary has this raw organic feel which is just so refreshing, can't get tired of his playing, one of the gods of drumming no doubt
Yussuf

Postby Yussuf » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:45 am

Cool, thanks! Gary is just fantastic here with headphones falling off and the bassdrum slipping away. Spirited and always truly improvising. I'm a fanboy for sure.
langmick

Postby langmick » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:09 pm

After watching this and liking what I heard, I went to iTunes and picked up Gary's latest.

Sounds great, and there are a lot of great drum ideas to "borrow". :o)

Thanks Gary!
sturla

Postby sturla » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:12 am

Spirited and always truly improvising.

Gary has this raw organic feel which is just so refreshing, can't get tired of his playing, one of the gods of drumming no doubt
Yes, indeed! Exactly how I feel as well. It is so refreshing to hear how he goes at it with seemingly no preconceived ideas and how it all builds. Been a fan for many years and it is always so refreshing to hear him.

After watching this and liking what I heard, I went to iTunes and picked up Gary's latest.
Yey! Glad to hear you were entrigued enough to pick it up, as I know he worked really hard on it.

Return to “Drumming Chat”