beat hit

Re: Marvin McQuitty Passes

Postby beat hit » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:53 pm

Wow.. how sad... What happened???
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:05 am

This is a crushing shame. Just awful.

His influence helped create a genre of drumming. I talked to him and he seemed like a wonderful and humble guy. That double CD "Pages Of Life Parts 1 and 2," that he did with Fred Hammond has been essential (and in constant play) ever since Vinnie hipped me to it years ago.

What a great person, a devoted family man, and talented musician. His wife wrote a wonderful book about living with a musician as well, it's nice (for us musicians) to hear things from the other side of the relationship.

Does anyone know what happened?

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and loved ones. Reach out and do something nice for someone this week, in honor of Marvin, he did that very often, but no longer can, we can all take up the reigns that he left us.

Enjoy every sandwich, and tell your friends, family, and loved ones how much they mean to you!

God Bless,
Mark
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
Da Chooch

Postby Da Chooch » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:26 pm

that is CRAZY..... so young! my Condolences to his family and loved ones. Remember being slack jawed when we first hear him live w/ his gospel group at the Yamaha Groove Night a ways back. Also loved your work w/ "Commissioned". Used to play along to those tapes back in the day as well. Thank you for your inspiration, Marvin.
....ALWAYS let the Wookie win....
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:58 pm

nomsgmusic wrote:Does anyone know what happened?

Only that he lost a short battle with a severe illness (didn't say what) via his website.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:01 pm

That sept. 11th...

I'm very sad about the passing of Marvin, I'm a huge fan of that Fred Hammond DVD live in Chicago, may his Soul Rest in Peace.

I think that he had a cancer...

I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:50 pm

It wasn't cancer according to Gordon Campbell. Very sad, why the secrecy? I respect the family's privacy, but I must admit I'm very curious. What illness, that is not cancer, can take such a huge talent away at 46 years old? Rest In Peace uncle Marvin.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:44 am

Robert Bluman wrote:It wasn't cancer according to Gordon Campbell. Very sad, why the secrecy? I respect the family's privacy, but I must admit I'm very curious. What illness, that is not cancer, can take such a huge talent away at 46 years old? Rest In Peace uncle Marvin.

Unfortunately there is a pretty long list. Not to mentioned we don't know his personal habits (drinking, smoking are common killers), possible preexisting medical issues or any issue he may have been born with and was able to manage until now.

There's a lot more then 1001 ways to die. Lesson is you just never know, so give it your best while your here!

Return to “Drumming Chat”