MP's rage outburst on stage.

Matus

MP's rage outburst on stage.

Postby Matus » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:25 am

First off, I'm sorry to bring such a negative subject here, but I really need to comment on this:

Sure, the guy had his reasons to complain. After all, there was stuff on contracts not met and all that stuff. But I can't help but feel sorry for him, as he's really lost any kind of touch with reality. The audience doesn't need to know what's going on unless it's pretty extreme and certainly don't deserve to see THAT. The issues must be dealt with backstage, always. Onstage, you go and play the best you can and if you're really good you'll put on a great show no matter how the kit's set up. And if a Mic falls, you put it back on. Hell, he was playing one handed for a good half minute, could've done that easily.
And, most of all, this kind of attitude is short of insulting for all gigging drummers who have to deal with much worse shit every day to barely pay the rent. I'd really like to see the guy on a festival, sharing an old Premier kit with jurassic drumheads.
And yeah, that was Stratus :|

PS: I don't know if this was talked about on any weekend chatty or whatever, haven't checked in a while. Sorry if it was.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Rodge

Re: MP's rage outburst on stage.

Postby Rodge » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:15 am

Yeah we did talk about it maybe 2 weeks ago in some Chatty.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:16 am

so, they didn't have a soundcheck where any issues could have been sorted out before the gig started?
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:36 am

There really is noexcuse for stuff like that. Completely unprofessional and childish.

Most of us that don't have his status have to deal with worse situations on a daily basis. It's irritating, but it's still our job to make the best of it, stay positive and give the audience what they deserve. You don't destroy other people's valuable music equipment just because you get angry.

He's an idiot.
willyz

Postby willyz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:25 am

Apparently they arrive to the venue and nothing was setup. They didn't get any gear until right before doors were scheduled to open- it's wasn't just Portnoy having gear issues and rider stuff not being met. I'm not sure about the sound heck situation (this is all gathered from his site and various other conversations online).

I understand it should have been handled in a much more professional matter, but I can understand the frustration of the situation. I'm sure the touring schedule/lack of sleep didn't help either.
Got Blushda?
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:14 am

Sticking up for your drum hero Willy. Love it.

I don't care how tired or how fed up you are at the world. He's a tool for throwing a baby fit. Looks like he was spoiled as a kid. He mad an ass out of himself. His drumming is average at best. He needs to humble out.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:45 am

Skip to 2.40 for more embarrassment and histrionical shit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJeF4gS3eZw
willyz

Postby willyz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:22 am

Kurtis wrote:Sticking up for your drum hero Willy. Love it.

I don't care how tired or how fed up you are at the world. He's a tool for throwing a baby fit. Looks like he was spoiled as a kid. He mad an ass out of himself. His drumming is average at best. He needs to humble out.

I hope this wasn't an insult (and I assume it isn't).

But yes, growing up, he was a huge influence on me. Then I grew up.

I never listen to Dream Theater or Liquid Tension Experiment anymore unless it's for nostalgic purposes- and I can only handle one song (if even) at a time. In fact, I hardly even listen to much prog stuff these days. I've grown out of it for the most part. His playing is a one trick pony sort of thing- sometimes it works, most of the time (especially live) it doesn't. He doesn't claim to be a master at the instrument, and in the case of this video, once you're a the fame level in the music world as he is (and the rest of those guys are), the venue you're booked with should be following the rider and meeting the needs of the player. He's acting unprofessional because this is HIS gig, he's clearly a bit tired, looney, out of it, and frustrated with the situation. He's not a hired gun on a pop tour, he's not backing anyone up (keep in mind the name of this group has his name listed first), etc. I get it.

Would I do it? No. None of this justifies his actions by any means, but it is what it is at this point. If it were Vinnie, Dave Grohl, Stewart Copeland, or whomever that acted like this, I'd provide the same argument.

That all being said (in an attempt to make this positive)- I dig Transatlantic and Flying Colors. On record (key words- on record) I think his approach serves the style of music:

Got Blushda?
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:48 am

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:29 pm

amoergosum wrote:

Actually, that time it was sort justified.

Return to “Drumming Chat”