KEITH CARLOCK - Montreal Drum Fest 2012 Vids

Angelillo

KEITH CARLOCK - Montreal Drum Fest 2012 Vids

Postby Angelillo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:06 pm

KEITH CARLOCK - Montréal Drum Fest 2012 on October 20, 2012
What a groove !
2 Videos from Vic Firth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... m68cGcfnY#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hba9zWKq ... r_embedded
willyz

Re: KEITH CARLOCK - Montreal Drum Fest 2012 Vids

Postby willyz » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:50 pm

Maybe he's a one trick pony- but I dig it.
Got Blushda?
AllenS

Postby AllenS » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:52 pm

willyz wrote:Maybe he's a one trick pony

Really?
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Absolutely but the "trick" is awesome.

I feel the same way about Stanton Moore. He basically does one thing all the time but that thing is awesome.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:53 pm

This is one of those times where I don't want to perceived as a hater. But here goes.

Keith's groove feels great on here. I like how he's kinda dancin in his seat as he's grooving ( part 2 ). His groove stuff is solid and I'm glad he's successful. He deserves it!

Drum mix is a big WTF ( not his fault but he has a say I would imagine ). The toms are like 2x as loud as the kick and snare. I wish these live videos would get some of the house instead of direct from the board. It's so....direct and not live sounding.
Tom tuning is a big WTF? Really?
Also his open BD thing sounds cool for some things, but not all. Every BD hit is taking up a lot of space musically.

It's time for Keith to hit the shed and expand.
Steve he's too busy working!
Maybe true, if so good for him! I'm saying if you're the guy out there doing drum solos at clinics, you may as well be a comedian in terms of needing to change up your thing after a while. Keith has more in him. I want to hear it.
AllenS

Postby AllenS » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:37 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:I'm saying if you're the guy out there doing drum solos at clinics, you may as well be a comedian in terms of needing to change up your thing after a while. Keith has more in him. I want to hear it.

Yeah, agreed.

That being said, Steve Gadd is one of the few who can get away with playing what seems like the same few things year after year, because of his one-of-a-kind musical feel and passion. Whereas someone like Vinnie is basically a bottomless pit of crazy ideas....then again, JR Robinson and Jim Keltner aren't virtuosos, but look at their discographies and tell me that they aren't great drummers.

Interesting to ponder, the ways in which different players choose to express themselves-and the things they choose not to play.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:17 pm

I don´t recall hearing a Keltner drum solo... Just sayin´
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:06 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:This is one of those times where I don't want to perceived as a hater. But here goes.

Keith's groove feels great on here. I like how he's kinda dancin in his seat as he's grooving ( part 2 ). His groove stuff is solid and I'm glad he's successful. He deserves it!

Drum mix is a big WTF ( not his fault but he has a say I would imagine ). The toms are like 2x as loud as the kick and snare. I wish these live videos would get some of the house instead of direct from the board. It's so....direct and not live sounding.
Also his open BD thing sounds cool for some things, but not all. Every BD hit is taking up a lot of space musically.

Maybe true, if so good for him! I'm saying if you're the guy out there doing drum solos at clinics, you may as well be a comedian in terms of needing to change up your thing after a while. Keith has more in him. I want to hear it.

That was very ambassadorial of you, Steve. I think Carlock gets a lot of mileage of his signature thing because he really does groove his butt off. I would pay money to see him play with a band, even one I was just kind of "meh" about, but wouldn't pay the cost in gas to go see him at a clinic. Good for his bank account, though, right?
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
willyz

Postby willyz » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:35 pm

Gaddabout wrote:
Steve Holmes wrote:This is one of those times where I don't want to perceived as a hater. But here goes.

That was very ambassadorial of you, Steve. I think Carlock gets a lot of mileage of his signature thing because he really does groove his butt off. I would pay money to see him play with a band, even one I was just kind of "meh" about, but wouldn't pay the cost in gas to go see him at a clinic. Good for his bank account, though, right?

This. With the clinic/drum festival being the only context I can understand why "Keith being Keith" can rub someone the wrong way. However (even though you know what to expect with this one), I'd love to see him with Krantz. The Oz Noy thing would be cool to see too... though nothing can replace seeing him with Vinnie.
Got Blushda?
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:33 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:....

Keeping it fresh would seem key with prolonged clinician duty. Either take chances or expand the vocabulary.

Return to “Drumming Chat”