Your personal heroes?

Morgenthaler

Your personal heroes?

Postby Morgenthaler » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:21 am

I think we've touched on this before, but I'd just like to run it over once more. Besides Vinnie, Weckl, Tain, Jojo, Buddy, Gadd,
all the really household names, which are your personal heroes? Of course there could be local cats that "no one" has heard of
and it could be international players (like Per Lindwall) who are just not drum royalty for some reason.

I'd like to mention two myself: Dion Derek, the son of Mother's Finest couple Baby Jean Kennedy and Doc Murdock,
who has drummed for them on several points in their career. Notably he recorded their 'Black Radio Won't Play This Record'
which made a huge impact on me in 1992 - where his funk rock drumming (in a mix between Will Calhoun and Deen Castronovo)
just floored me. The production is *very* 1992 but the drumming still is absolutely ace to me. I love his feel and his way of tying it all together:

The other is Steve Holley. He has played for Paul McCartney and many others, but his playing on 'Joe Cocker Live' is really all I need from
a pop/rock drummer. *Solid* is the word. Brilliantly comforting and driving the big live band with horns, backup singers and all and really
grooving his ass off. I love that album to this day:

Which are your somewhat lesser known heroes?
Last edited by Morgenthaler on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rodge

Re: Your personal heroes?

Postby Rodge » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:59 am

I'll go with Per Lindvall, he grooves way too hard !!!
And what a sweet cat, I like him very much.

I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
langmick

Postby langmick » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:30 am

Steve Reich

Airto

Phil Rudd

Mick Fleetwood

Prairie Prince

Chester Thompson

John Shearer

Michael Giles
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:34 am

When i heard Speaking In Melodies by Michael Ruff I was hooked on Per's playing. Great album with everyone playing live in the studio. He's got great feel.

Ralph Humphrey and Efrain Toro are not heroes but heavy influences on my learning curve. Great teachers. Mike Shapiro is another monster player. Learned a ton from the two records I have of him with Kevyn lettau. There are so many cats you pick up little and big things up from. Not heroes by any means but influences on how to put it all together and make music out of it.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:44 am

Good call on Ralph Humphrey !!!
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:47 am

Good call on Efrain. You can't be any more relaxed behind a set of drums than that .. and the guy's insight is miles wide and just as deep.

No real heroes, but most of the teachers at PIT back in the day. Casey Scheuerell, Steve Houghton - once you got to know him.
Mark Craney was a guy whose style and approach I liked quite a bit, and a class guy too.
Rene

Postby Rene » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:29 pm

My first ever drum hero was Terry williams, being a dire straits fan when i was teenager. It was him actually that made me start play drums. I loved his keith moonish playing, he was like keith a typical british rock drummer.

Really dig poogie bell and have mentioned paco sery more than ones

Then there some locals, like Hans Eijkenaar. An amazing musical drummer
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:10 pm

Gotta love Per Lindvall. Amazing groove.

Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:57 pm

Ralph Humphrey is a MAJOR heavy, but most of his best stuff is confused for Gadd. Ha! Humphrey's a studio legend, one of the all-time greats.

Rick Marotta is a guy that has always done it for me. He's sneaky and clever. I think I just like the way he thinks. He gets accused of stealing from Gadd, but I think they used to be roommates in NY and Marotta swears Gadd stole that stuff from him.

“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:25 pm

Rick Marotta plays on a lot of songs that I really love, but each time I see him playing live, I'm wondering how he did it... :-)

Return to “Drumming Chat”