Your personal heroes?

circh bustom

Re: Your personal heroes?

Postby circh bustom » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:16 am

Man that Paul Brochu dude is rippin!! What I find amusing about that vid is Im wondering where it was. People are walking by seeing this middle aged social studies teacher lookin dude tearin it up and they barely even glance. Is this a regular occurance where he is? Also, I get both excited and angry when I hear a dude that good and I've never heard of him before lol.
renardvert

Postby renardvert » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:35 am

I don't know where that is. Looks like some kind of a namm event I would guess. You can take a look at his band Uzeb. There are clips on youtube all over. They were pretty big. And he was a very nice fellow.
langmick

Postby langmick » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:59 am

Mike Hyman playing with Roy Rogers. Cool vibe. He totally blew me away. Quick meter changes and forceful drumming, but cerebral. I had no idea what he was doing.

He's still out there, I really dig his playing.

Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:16 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:
Morgenthaler wrote:name drummers that wasn't drumming stars - but who helped shape your understanding of what you thought drumming should be/do.

What if they happen to be "stars"?

Then they belong in a lot of other threads ;)
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:01 pm

circh bustom wrote:Man that Paul Brochu dude is rippin!! What I find amusing about that vid is Im wondering where it was. People are walking by seeing this middle aged social studies teacher lookin dude tearin it up and they barely even glance. Is this a regular occurance where he is? Also, I get both excited and angry when I hear a dude that good and I've never heard of him before lol.

That was at the 2008 NAMM... He was playing at the Paiste boot... it was very early in the morning if I remember correctly.
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:17 pm

My first hero was Rayford Griffin. Saw JLP live in 1982 and I was only 14 then. Clip of that same tour below. My bro's friend could not go to the show.. 1 ticket available... 2nd row... Ended up going after much negotiation with my dad... After seeing Rayford live at that age, I knew I wanted to be a drummer.

My second and main hero who remains a huge influance to this day is Paul Brochu. Became known via UZEB. UZEB was very hot in Canada and parts of Europe , Asia and south America back in the 80's. Don Alias toured with the band in the early to mid 80's. I had the privilege of being backstage during a UZEB concert with Don Alias. I will never forget seeing Don's huge grin pointing fingers at Paul after a ferocious performance. I was so young back then but I knew I wanted to make the drums make music the way Paul did. He plays with heart, passion and inspiring musicality. He soon became one of the busiest drummers on the Montreal scene (TV and Studio) and various other artists.

A few significant clips from early to recent years.

Early years with UZEB and Michael Brecker on the old Milestone drums.

Early years with UZEB and Didier Lockwood.

UZEB and Didier Lockwood 1985 or 1986.

Short and sweet solo here... 1989

First Tour with Gino Vannelli 1995

Gino Vannelli 1998

Great interpretation of Brother To Brother with GV 1999

With Dan Thouin Quartet
Rene

Postby Rene » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:14 pm

[*]In my previous post I mentioned Dutch drummer hans eijkenaar. Really musical guy. He has played a lot with gino vanelli.

Nice solo

With GV
Apaloosa

This day on

Brother to brother
Last edited by Rene on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:49 am

Rene wrote:[*]In my previous post I mentioned Dutch drummer hans eijkenaar. Really musical guy. He has played a lot with gino vanelli.

Nice solo

With GV
Apaloosa

This day on

Brother to brother

I really like this guy!! Thanks... The other clips you embedded are all the same as the 1st one though... :?
Rene

Postby Rene » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:05 pm

:shock:

Sorry for that, corrected it!
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:56 pm

Another couple heroes for me.

Danny Gottlieb and Paul Wertico.

Great playing by both, hard playing, but always sounding in the music. That killed me, totally floored by the lighter playing that was still intricate and powerful.

That's a hard combination to pull off. And Danny's hands are insane. He did some clinics back in the day and he did some full stroke demos that were ridiculous. Extremely relaxed and still hitting hard.

That killed me too.

I love the way they play with Metheny. Is he building fake robotic devices to get around paying people to play with him? Just sayin'.

Such great feel.

Gottlieb is like the most powerful jazz player I've ever seen. Adam Nussbaum is close, but Gottlieb has an extra level of power. He can really hit the drums.

Return to “Drumming Chat”