Official Virgil Donati thread

electrizer

Re: Official Virgil Donati thread

Postby electrizer » Tue May 14, 2013 12:27 am

Steve Holmes wrote:This is the kind of song where when I hear the groove, I want make that face where something smells bad, but because the groooove is so good. Simple, deep, in the pocket. Gadd-like. That's what this tune begs for.
This is not that groove unfortunately. =(

http://vimeo.com/63332378#at=0

It's hard to play simple and feel good. It's hard to not embellish AT ALL after 4 bars (Hi Weckl) . That's what makes JR and Gadd so great. Don't play drummy stuff. Just play a simple groove for THIS kind of song.

Truth is I understand this struggle pretty clearly. Constantly subdividing in my head and hearing all the phrases to a slow pulse. NOT playing them after spending years developing the ability TO play them is challenging. And all Virgil does mostly is constant gigs where he has total freedom to blow. TheN something like comes up and he's a fish out of water almost. He's playing so much stuff there, it's almost funny.
My respect for him would 1000x if he did his best Jeff here. Oh well.
I LOVE VIRGIL'S playing, have taken a lesson with him. I've drank with him at the Potato. This is just an opinion/constructive criticism. Do not. Panic.

+1. Not to mention stick choice. Are those 2B's? :)
percusski

Postby percusski » Tue May 14, 2013 7:40 am

I enjoyed that clip, was in the pocket, busy yes but when things are in the moment that's cool, I would have objected if one of the worked out quintuplet paradiddles vs double para and been squeezed in, but then again maybe not if the intention was honourable...it's all subjective in the end and it is his gig after all.
Kind of reminded me of Bozzio on some of the Lonely Bears or Jeff Beck stuff, embellishing the groove etc
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed May 29, 2013 12:37 am

Early 80s Virg pocket playing:

Last edited by Morgenthaler on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Wed May 29, 2013 4:15 pm

I absolutely believe that really was the best that song ever sounded.

The other one was fine too. It wasn't just Virgil that took a wannabe Toto pop sound into fusion land.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:16 am

Virg jamming with brazilian bass player Braguinha:

Rodge

Postby Rodge » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:51 am

I liked that jam very much !!!
Nice musicianship.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:57 pm

That was awesome. Sounds incredible as well. Someone did a great job with the audio. More from this show?
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:52 pm

I hope so, bstocky! Meanwhile, here are the big news, finally!

Virgil's upcoming album In This Life will be out on July 23.
Here's a free download of one of the songs on the album. Great solos on this one:
http://t.opsp.in/p0ctR

I've worked with my cousin Lars on the album art (not just the cover). He's an award-winning architect and designer
and my job has been that of facilitator, project manager, design advisor and overall go-getter.

Here's the cover:
Last edited by Morgenthaler on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:22 pm

Morgenthaler wrote:I hope so, bstocky! Meanwhile, here are the big news, finally!

Virgil's upcoming album In This Life will be out on July 23.
Here's a free download of one of the songs on the album. Great solos on this one:
http://t.opsp.in/p0ctR

I've worked with my cousin Lars on the album art (not just the cover). He's an award-winning architect and designer
and my job has been that of facilitator, project manager, design advisor and overall go-getter.

Here's the cover:

Good stuff!! Congrats on the work!! I will access the link later on this evening... Who are the muscians playing on it? Thanks
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:47 pm

Thx! On this track it's Alex Argento on keys, Irwin Thomas and Marco Sfogli on guitars and Doug Shreeve on bass. Sfogli plays the solo towards the end.

The album features Doug Shreeve, Marco Sfogli, Dennis Hamm, Alex Argento, Brett Garsed, Irwin Thomas, Alex Machacek, Paul Sherman, Artyom Manukyan,
Anthony Crawford, Evan Marien, Ruslan Sirota, Tom Kennedy, Jeff Babko, Rafael Moreira and Simon Hosford.
Last edited by Morgenthaler on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Drumming Chat”