New Sting album coming out

thewikiman

New Sting album coming out

Postby thewikiman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:59 am

Sting is releasing The Last Ship in September: http://www.sting.com/news/title/stings-the-last-ship-new-album-from-the-16time-grammy-award-winner

It doesn't mention who the core personnel are so I don't know if Vinnie is playing on it. I'm sort of enthused because it's his first originals album in a decade, but also wary as there's also a Musical of it coming out! So who knows what sort of style it'll be. There's also lots of guest artists again - I often think that's a sign of fragmented and under-developed song ideas rather than a cohesive whole. But we'll see, could be great.
____
Ned
bored at work

Re: New Sting album coming out

Postby bored at work » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:04 am

From Amazon.com

The play, in which Sting has been creatively immersed for nearly three years, debuts on Broadway in 2014 and is a collaboration with Tony Award winners Joe Mantello (director; Wicked, Other Desert Cities), John Logan (writer; Red, Skyfall) and Brian Yorkey (writer; Next to Normal)."The Last Ship" tells the story of the demise of the shipbuilding industry in 1980s Newcastle which had, for so long, shaped and overshadowed the city, its development, and its community.

I can imagine that the New York theatre crowd will stay away from that in their thousands!
Joe Nocella

Postby Joe Nocella » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:16 am

As much as I loved Sting's earlier solo material and certainly his work with the Police. There comes a time when I usually part ways with an artist. For me with Sting that was Sacred Love. Even Brand New Day was considerably weaker than previous attempts, IMO.

Other examples could include Toto with Falling In Between and Rush with Hold Your Fire. Oh well, nothing stays the same forever. I still like these artists. I've just moved on.
thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:54 am

Joe Nocella wrote:As much as I loved Sting's earlier solo material and certainly his work with the Police. There comes a time when I usually part ways with an artist. For me with Sting that was Sacred Love. Even Brand New Day was considerably weaker than previous attempts, IMO.

Completely agree. Brand New Day had moments, but it was the announcement of the drying of the well...

It's a real shame, I still absolutely love most of Mercury Falling, love Soul Cages and DotBT, and like very much Ten Summoners and Nothing Like the Sun.
____
Ned
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:26 am

Falling in between and hold your fire are great albums.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:45 am

thewikiman wrote:
Joe Nocella wrote:As much as I loved Sting's earlier solo material and certainly his work with the Police. There comes a time when I usually part ways with an artist. For me with Sting that was Sacred Love. Even Brand New Day was considerably weaker than previous attempts, IMO.

Completely agree. Brand New Day had moments, but it was the announcement of the drying of the well...

It's a real shame, I still absolutely love most of Mercury Falling, love Soul Cages and DotBT, and like very much Ten Summoners and Nothing Like the Sun.

Mercury Falling was the last really good album by Sting in my opinion.
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:57 pm

Is he finally doing Saucy Jack?

I can't listen to him except when Omar is playing or with The Police, I like what Vinnie plays but the tunes dont't move me.

Omar kicked the crap out that band.
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:46 pm

langmick wrote:Is he finally doing Saucy Jack?

I can't listen to him except when Omar is playing or with The Police, I like what Vinnie plays but the tunes dont't move me.

Omar kicked the crap out that band.

Got to see the Bring on the Night band mid- '80s w/ Omar and all those guys. Kenny Kirkland, Branford, was it Darryl Jones on bass? What a killer band - one of the best shows I've ever seen. I heard Sting had about a decade's worth of writer's block. In any case, I generally prefer his earlier solo stuff and later Police stuff.

I'll be interested to hear what he's come up with this time though.
baht habit

Postby baht habit » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:55 am

I highly doubt if The Last Ship is going to appeal to a large portion of this particular forum. A number of the players who contributed to 2009's esoteric project If On A Winter's Night are also involved on the upcoming release:

Dominic Miller - guitar / Ira Coleman - bass / Kathryn Tickell - violin, northumbrian pipes / Julian Sutton - melodeon / Peter Tickell - violin / Jo Lawry - backing vocals / Rob Mathes - keyboards, guitar / James Shipp - percussion / Jimmy Nail, Brian Johnson, Teesside Singers, The Wilson Brothers - vocals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87lKbcMBEdE
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:21 am

amoergosum wrote:
thewikiman wrote:

Mercury Falling was the last really good album by Sting in my opinion.

I feel the same, and of course the band with Omar and the cats, NO WAY !!!
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...

Return to “Drumming Chat”