I'd Hit That podcast interview series

David Francis

Re: Jojo Mayer podcast interview

Postby David Francis » Fri May 31, 2013 1:04 am

I'm saving the Jojo interview for the drive to tonight's gig but I just listened to half of the Jonathan Mover interview. It's worth a listen, eecially for the "Levon Helm" story.
langmick

Re: Jojo Mayer podcast interview

Postby langmick » Fri May 31, 2013 6:47 am

The way I look at it, would Tony Williams be accepted by people who give grants, or academe (universities). Frank Zappa? I take academic to mean university sponsored.

I went to see Branford play with Tain at a university...the crowd ran for the exit at the end of the show, no encore.

They played pretty out stuff, I felt embarrassed.
thewikiman

Re: I'd Hit That podcast interview series

Postby thewikiman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:02 am

Mark Guiliana interview now up: http://idhitthatpodcast.podomatic.com/entry/2013-06-02T03_11_56-07_00

Mark is the only drummer I've been blown away by since the 90s (over saturation is responsible for that, not lack of quality drummers) - I'm about 40 minutes in and it's great to hear him talk. Eloquent guy who knows his own mind, it's good stuff.
____
Ned
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:56 am

I've been hooked on this podcast for the last week. Freese was great, Schulman was great, Jason Sutter (who I know nothing about) was enlightening...they mostly have the same message though-you've got to network, do the hang, business works on recommendation, you've got to be over-prepared, you've got to be able to play with that click and be professional and personable.
Ironically, I turned on Palladia last night and caught a live Foreigner show from 2010 w/Schulman on drums. For as "cock-rock" as some of that music is, the bands sound was amazing (great lead singer and Mick Jones distortion was perfect) and Schulman was unwavering and simply spot-on.
Again, thanks for hopping me out to this. I've listened to a lot of stuff on Spotify this week that I normally wouldn't have paid attention to. Good/great stuff!
D.
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:21 am

Christopher

Postby Christopher » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:50 pm

These podcasts rock. You get so much more when you can hear the person's inflections when they are speaking as opposed to reading an interview.

I think the audio only nature of them is way cool. Better than video. You can really hone in on what they are saying without being distracted by seeing them too. For me at least.

Awesomeness...
bored at work

Postby bored at work » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:26 am

I love these pod casts, although I have to say the Mark Schulman one lasted about 5 minutes!
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:35 pm

For anyone that hasn't checked out Bermuda Schwartz's podcast, I would suggest doing so. He has some thoughts on the current music climate as well a few words about Vinnie and Ludwig. Good stuff for sure.
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:42 pm

Listened to Bermuda on the way to band practice tonight. That guy knows his gear! I REALLY like this podcast. I learn stuff from all of them. Podcasts are like news radio you actually give a shit about.
D.
thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:39 am

For anyone going through the back-catalogue I'd recommend the Cindy Blackman Santana one, some great stories there about Tony Williams, Miles, Art Blakey.
____
Ned

Return to “Drumming Chat”