New Sting album coming out

baht habit

Re: New Sting album coming out

Postby baht habit » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:27 am

drumdawg wrote:ya, you're right. seems as artist get older, they take less chances. New PG (which i did enjoy and listed to a lot) is not like the old manu, phil, copland material.

Less chances? Peter Gabriel's Scratch My Back was an extremely risky release - an album of covers completely devoid of any rock/pop instrumentation - PG opted for some challenging orchestral arrangements bound to alienate those fans who always want the artist to keep within the framework and sound that brought them the most success.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:00 am

Bowie is another guy that was/is still experimenting and kicking ass.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:57 pm

baht habit

Postby baht habit » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:57 am

amoergosum wrote:

Thanks for posting that. I believe the percussionist on this recording is James Shipp. Thankfully, the idea for a musical play has elicited a creative response from Sting. I've greatly enjoyed the projects he has indulged in while suffering from the 7-8 year case of writer's block, yet it's quite encouraging to hear material he has composed himself.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:43 am

:|
>>>

bored at work

Postby bored at work » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:05 am

amoergosum wrote::|
>>>

Sting offered Vinnie the gig but insisted that Vinnie could only do it if he played Ludwig!
Jeremy Smirnoff

Postby Jeremy Smirnoff » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:15 pm

Ok, flame me if you wish, but I like the new record and I LOVED the winter record and the Dowland record has inspired me to check out more "classical" music. I can believe that he has no financial aspirations and is just doing what interests him and I love the vibe of it all. :)
Jeremy Smirnoff
drums, percussion
http://www.facebook.com/jeremy.smirnoff
baht habit

Postby baht habit » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:30 am

Jeremy Smirnoff wrote:Ok, flame me if you wish, but I like the new record and I LOVED the winter record and the Dowland record has inspired me to check out more "classical" music. I can believe that he has no financial aspirations and is just doing what interests him and I love the vibe of it all. :)

You'll receive no heat from this guy :)
Though I must point out that I haven't gone back to the Labyrinth for listening pleasure in a very long time, If On A Winter's Night has been one release that I find myself listening to time and time again. And being that The Last Ship was created with a core of musicians who also formed the core of Winter's Night, I'm finding plenty to enjoy just in regards to the musicianship alone. Add to that the fact that Sting was actually inspired to compose again after 7 or 8 years of writer's block - his enthusiasm for the project is evident on every track. He is following no trend and that is something I can admire.
I made sure to grab a copy of the deluxe edition : 7 more tracks - "Hadaway (Out of Your Tiny Minds)" should have made the cut on the domestic version. "Show Some Respect" sounds as if it is influenced by Bertolt Brecht, which was an impressive surprise to me. On "Sky Hooks And Tartan Paint" , AC/DC's Brian Johnson contributes a vocal performance that I can actually enjoy. Longtime sideman Dominic Miller is afforded the opportunity to do what he does most proficiently on a track like "It's Not The Same Moon". Apparently, there are more songs for the stage show that could be released on some official 'cast recording'.
Jeremy Smirnoff

Postby Jeremy Smirnoff » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:29 pm

Thank you! You certainly seem to get where I was coming from! :) Cheers! :)
Jeremy Smirnoff
drums, percussion
http://www.facebook.com/jeremy.smirnoff
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:21 pm

Agree w/Kurtis, why Falling in Between? Earlier recordings could have been where the
shark jump occurred like Mindfields, but if you liked that, FIBetween fits the style imo.
Title track is killa...

side track, but original thought ran its course...

Artists age...Sting ain't 25 anymore...I think we want to hold onto an era...to be able to even
get notice at his age is amazing in a Miley Cyrus world (sorry...had to throw that in)
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com

Return to “Drumming Chat”