Carlock moves to Grestch

Paul Marangoni

Re: Carlock moves to Grestch

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:02 pm

With such a huge back catalog of music, they shouldn't be wasting all that time on a drum solo. Jeff never did any solos (aside from some short things with the percussionist).
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:37 pm

Paul has a point. A Uge catalog of tunes to play. Not into the solo. He's quite the doubles guy. Doesn't fly to well in stadiums but it kinda worked. I like his groove phrasing. Just shorten up the solo by 6 minutes. Maybe play to a vamp then some orchestrated hits. More entertaining. He's got his bag of tricks. After a minute you have heard it all. He sounds great with the band. I like how he crashes his ride all the time. He's using crashes for this gig. He's Mr. Rides. I prefer Simon on this gig. He's such a mother fucking monster of a player. His sound is epic. I'm sure Keith's playing on the new toto album will sound like surf and turf.

JW sounds great! Luke and JW in concert = win
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:39 pm

Well Simon definitely took big solos.
langmick

Postby langmick » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:49 am

A solo gives almost everyone on stage a break.

I don't get putting your head down and blasting notes until everyone in the audience wants to jump out a window. Pop audience don't care!

Simon's solo had some hits and drama with it, Keith blasts odd note groupings. I don't think that's the most effective method.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:55 am

I think he plays well. Not a fan of the solo, but that sort of goes for Keiths solos in general. Not very musical to me. Just natural to show off the new guy a little bit, though.

A little bit of personell change in Toto is just normal. Luke is the only cat who's been on every gig anyway.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:23 pm

amoergosum wrote:Drum solo >>>

UGH. That doesn't settle well with me at all...I mean, it's music but that's going to take a lot of adjustment from everyone...
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:34 pm

This makes much more sense:

Simon Phillips [at 5:05] >>>

Rodge

Postby Rodge » Thu May 01, 2014 2:00 am

Keith does a good job, don't compare him with Simon, because at end, both of them can't be compared to Jeff so righ on Keith !!!
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
BennyAndTheSkins

Postby BennyAndTheSkins » Thu May 01, 2014 7:36 am

Jeez, Luke's voice is rough on Rosanna..........

It feels like Keith is ahead of the beat, while Simon settles in more, especially on the intro to "Stop Loving You".
Agreed with the solo..... just more of the same thing..... would have come off better over hits, in the context of the song, like right before he went into the solo.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Thu May 01, 2014 9:22 am

BennyAndTheSkins wrote:Jeez, Luke's voice is rough on Rosanna..........

It feels like Keith is ahead of the beat, while Simon settles in more, especially on the intro to "Stop Loving You".
Agreed with the solo..... just more of the same thing..... would have come off better over hits, in the context of the song, like right before he went into the solo.

To me it just sounded like Keith was just floating in the background, not really inside the music...but he's always had that kind of approach, IMO...
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.

Return to “Drumming Chat”