Interesting stuff RE music biz from Scott H

DSOP

Re: Interesting stuff RE music biz from Scott H

Postby DSOP » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:20 pm

Gerry wrote:When I studied music we had people coming in all the time to talk about the industry. I also had dealings (not business) with a guy who ran a jazz/blues record label. He now runs festivals. PM me if you want to know who (I doubt you'll ever have heard of him). Doesn't make me an expert, but it was an eye opener.

You're right. You are not an expert. On the other hand, I was a member of numerous bands over the years, some of which were on smaller independant labels (such as Anthem), and several which were on major labels (such as A&M). I've also toured all over North America several times playing venues large and small. I also worked for the LARGEST record company on the planet (Universal Music) for over six years. Compared to you, I AM an expert, so don't try to educate me on how all of this works.

Stealing music is hurting musicians, and left unabated, music will suffer even more (hard to imagine it being worse than it is now). Telling musicians to print and sell t-shirts in order to make a living is insulting to say the least.
dccollins

Postby dccollins » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:42 pm

"Compared to you, I AM an expert, so don't try to educate me on how all of this works."

-DSOP (AKA God)

Yep, you're still a dick, even in the new forums.

Steve, delete this post and ban me if you want. I don't care. I'm tired of his belligerent, holier than thou "b/c I wuz in the biz" attitude.
JohnC

Postby JohnC » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:47 pm

DSOP wrote:Stealing music is hurting musicians, and left unabated, music will suffer even more (hard to imagine it being worse than it is now). Telling musicians to print and sell t-shirts in order to make a living is insulting to say the least.

I agree that downloading is hurting musicians, but I don't think music will improve or get any worse if the downloading stops....there will always be shitty players that have the money to record and great players without the opportunity.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:17 pm

There's being a dick because you're a dick, and being agressive as a result of being passionate about something. It's no excuse, but does clarify the motive (wanting to hurt someone soley for the sake vs feeling strongly about a topic relevant to one's life).

Either way I don't want folks being dicks, just showing where my judgement is coming from I suppose.

If downloading/stealing ANYTHING on the internet wasn't so easy, folk's would not do it. The internet is an interesting experiment in human nature: What happens if you steal something and not get caught? Well, this is what happens. It's the justification that makes me laugh - folks asking why it doesn't matter - who it's hurting - YOU (downloader) do not care about those things in reality. It's just examples to support logic to make it seem like it's something that it's not. I would have more respect if people said YES I do it, it's hard to resist
Spare us the bullshit reasoning.
I did my share in the 90's but stopped a long time ago because it's easy to go to Amazon and pay the fucking 99 cents for the tune. Plus supporting musicians IS important to me. I download other things. It's wrong. The end.

This topic will be locked soon.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:10 pm

I download, mostly software and movies.. I used to download music. but honestly I'm around it so much I listen to talk radio in the car..
I have a 32 gig ipod touch and a 80 ipod video.. With a total of 4 gigs on them,.. BArely use them..
Nowdays If I need to learn a tune.. I use youtube to learn it.. Can't be bothered to try an find a virus free mp3 any more..'

I download because I can... No other reason.. There's no thought to it, I'll go "cool I watch that movie at home without paying for it,.." wicked,, or I need this software to do this... awesome..

If my internet bill was 300 a month I wouldn't be stealing what I can for free that's for sure..
And to me It's companies like Apple that need to pay,, there is no other reason for an IPod to exists other than to have ripped off music stored on it..

It's not like someone is ever going to have an Ipod with 2 thousand dollars of payed for music on it.. never...
markie04drum

Postby markie04drum » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:56 pm

Wow! This topic gets HOT! I remember the same topic brought up in the old forum. Lot of emotions running wild, then everyone seemed to move on and get along fine.

Vinnie Rules! :lol:
Yussuf

Postby Yussuf » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:04 pm

Check out how Brian Eno sums it up(last paragraph in the interview) http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/ja ... aul-morley

There's also a really interesting article written by the legendary David Byrne for emerging artists, check it out: http://www.wired.com/entertainment/musi ... ntPage=all

Btw if you are passionate about something and want to get your point across in a forum conversation: calm down. People will listen better and the discussion will be much more interesting.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:07 am

Yussuf wrote:Btw if you are passionate about something and want to get your point across in a forum conversation: calm down. People will listen better and the discussion will be much more interesting.

Exactly...and Steve...if the aggressive & disrespectful (mostly generated by DSOP) tone doesn't change in this thread please lock it...thank god there's no sub forum here where you'd be able to discuss religion, politics, 9/11...
Gerry

Postby Gerry » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:29 am

Yussuf, excellent links. Thanks.

DSOP, I don’t even know where to start with some of your pronouncements.

You keep going on about stealing and how that will be addressed, but I question whether you’ve been keeping up with things (despite your obvious impeccable credentials in the industry). Do you realise how much music is available for free legally? You should, because that’s the way things are going. Illegal downloading isn’t going to be an issue in the future because there’s won’t be any need to do it.

Do an artist search on we7.com then click on ‘albums’. Surprising what’s on there. These took me all of 10 seconds to find:

http://www.we7.com/#/album/Chick-Corea- ... ktric-Band

http://www.we7.com/#/user/view-playlist ... Id=1175292

Totally free, totally legal. Why would I want to clutter my hard drive with mp3s when I can access it for free? With the trend for internet access on mobile units, will we even need mp3 players in the future? I doubt it. Just get connected and it’s all there, day in, day out.

By all means be the last man to defend the fort, but don’t forget to lock the door when you’re done…
Mark P

Postby Mark P » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:10 am

Hi guys,

I am lucky enough to make my living out of playing music full time. I tour with pop artists, I record and gig. I also am lucky enough to make some money from PPL (mechanical royalties from having recorded drums on a popular song - not sure what the organisation for collecting these monies in the USA is called). I am not saying this makes my opinion more relevant or important than someone who doesn't make their living from music, I'm just saying I am well positioned to have a valid insight into the decline of money in the industry in the last 5 years...

I just wanted to instigate discussion (as if that was needed!) and specifically ask what people thought of programmes like Spotify? People here are lauding it as reasonable, that it's legal and therefore morally acceptable to listen to music on it. I too, use Spotify and love the fact there seems to be an infinite amount of music on there, all at the (very free) click of a button. I wonder if anyone knows what artists actually see in the way of royalties Spotify??

Let me tell you, last year over a five-month period, 1,000,000 plays of Lady Gaga's 'Poker Face' – one of the most popular songs on the site – earned her just $167. If the same song was played the same amount of times on various leading Radio stations such as BBC Radio 1, she would have seen $1,895,154. Although you're completely legally listening to the song, the artist doesn't see nearly the same return.

What are your thoughts on that, directly posed to people praising that medium?

MP

Return to “Drumming Chat”